Are you a Hoarder or a Chucker?

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which are you?
  1. Ruthless about throwing stuff away you don't use, regardless of condition.
  2. Throw anything away which you don't use, except things which seem ‘too nice to chuck'.
  3. Generally pretty good, but have hang-ups about some things, such as books.
  4. Only throw broken or worn-out stuff away.
  5. OK, but cannibalize gadgets and things for potential spares before throwing them out.
  6. A bit of a hoarder, and have to have an occasional major clear-out.
  7. A real hoarder; never throw anything
I find it difficult to throw anything away which still has some use or ‘niceness' about it, even though I know I'll never ever use it again. Examples are old iPods, film cameras, clothes. I also have a particular hang-up about throwing books away, even those I don't like and/or will never read again. But they're only pieces of paper, right? You can always find them again on the net if you really want to.

I had a lot of heart-searching before throwing my old VHS and Compact Cassette tapes away, despite the fact that I got rid of the players long before (they really did wear out, or I'd probably still be using them). I still have a pile of LPs, but no player and no desire to listen to them. All the tracks I want are already on my iPod. CDs are rapidly going the same way. I haven't listened to a CD in literally years.

I thought of doing a poll, but I think that many of us will fall into several categories. I'm in 2,3 and 5.

PS: by ‘throwing out' I mean get rid of by any means, including recycling or charity shops

I'm good at clearing out old junk (especailly the wife's stuff...;)) but i do hoard old pc related cables, speaker wire, printer cables, old USB cables etc. I also keep carboard boxes of items just in case i need to take them back, often finding the box has out lived the actual item...:facepalm:

I'm 2, 3 and 5 as well, I'll do things like strip the flex off any electrical devices and keep pieces of copper or waste pipe after doing plumbing. My wife rolls her eyes at me but every now and then I get to be smugly triumphant because some little job will need done around the house and I will have just the thing to do it because of my stash.

I also keep everying AV/PC related - old cables, useless stuff like a 56k NIC card, and assorted components. You never know when it might become useful...

We only got rid of our CDs (over 700 of them) a few months ago, despite not listening to them for a few years.

I keep spares and books. I keep books because I will re-read them at some point.

I chuck away anything i don't use.I like a nice tidy house,i couldn't live the way hoarders do.

I thought of doing a poll, but I think that many of us will fall into several categories. I’m in 2,3 and 5.

You can do a poll, just select the multi-choice option :smashin: start one off and we can merge it with this thread.

I'm afraid to say I'm a hoarder - since moving house we have a garage full stuff which I am at pains to clear.
I love to keep stuff on the off chance I may use it - still have my trusty Zip drive from my Uni days :clap: (amongst other junk)

Also 2,3,5 for me

Wife and daughter cannot and will not throw anything away. Wifey keeps birthday cards, Well she thinks does,I say I've put them with the others,well again I have, in the bin.

I also cut electrical leads off everything that has broken and get binned because I always think, oh that plug will come in handy. Lead that must be 40 years old that i inherited from me ole man.I've got leads that still have 5 pin din plugs on.:D

You cannot beat that feeling of mending something that has broken, with something that I've stored tidily in the garage for years for that very purpose.

Some things I hoard... "you never know when it's going to be useful", "we can fix that", "in case of emergency"
and some things I just blindly chuck out before the hoarder mind comes in (papers)
Cables- I have chucked a few scart cables out but that's about it... The 'spaghetti drawer' could do with tackling. I haven't thrown out many electronic devices in my time, the ones I have chucked out were because they don't work, but. I still have some working devices in the shed somewhere. The only perfectly good device I have thrown is a freeview box- we have 3 of the buggers in the house, so one of them had to go. and a BT Home hub.

Oh, and we haven't come to the kitchen. In the drawer there are just so many unused "tools" - 3 or 4 peelers, well I use a knife yet still they haven't left the drawer. 4 tin openers, two of which work. Spoons, spatulas, broken tools, cookie cutters, garlic presses, and the most amusing one- two "magic spiral" garnish cutters (neither of which have been used or will be used), all in there.

I do have clear outs now and again, but really, it's just a bit of clutter rather than full-on buried, like you see on tv.

And what about food hoarding? There are multiple duplicates of cans beyond belief. When you go shopping, you feel that it is a "staple" (e.g beans, chopped tomatoes, peas, flour) so feel the need to just get it and accumulate more!

Last edited:
I have a faulty PS3 and now a fault Sony Vaio laptop --- going to be hard to chuck these out.

I'm a mix of 1,2 and 3.

Generally if it doesn't get used I will see if I can raise some funds but if not then it'll go to charity. I have some stuff that I should get rid of but it's still sitting in a draw or under the bed.

I'm like SBT, I like to have a nice and tidy house...on first look anyway, just don't open draws or doors ;)

Selling my house has obliged me to "de-clutter". TBH, I wasn't too bad, turning stuff over on t'Bay, or taking to charidee shops

Used to be a hoarder but over the last few years I have managed to bring myself round to getting rid of various cables, wires and other electrical bits that 'would come in handy' :D

I still have my Pioneer sx- receiver from the late 70's and a Marantz amp from the early 80's and a Morduant Short Dolby Surround processor I bought in the mid 90's.

They all work so I just cannot bring myself to let them go, I mean they might come in handy...:D

I chuck away anything i don't use.I like a nice tidy house,i couldn't live the way hoarders do.

Is it true that you threw your central heating radiators out.:D

Wifey keeps birthday cards, Well she thinks does,I say I've put them with the others,well again I have, in the bin.

That made me laugh. You are going to get it in the neck when that day comes that she does want to look through them! :rotfl:

That made me laugh. You are going to get it in the neck when that day comes that she does want to look through them! :rotfl:

We've been together 18 years and she hasn't felt the need to have a shufty as yet.

Wednesday is my day off, shes at work,so havin a clear out(her stuff) and have just found 8 old next catalogues. WHY?

Hi,

I don't tend to hoard stuff, as it's not my style. If I keep something, it's because I want to keep it. However, there are plenty of times when it's simply a case of "I want this stuff, but I just don't have anywhere to put it right now", and hence it is boxed-up until -hopefully, one day soon - I will have somewhere for that stuff to go.

I am though, a mixture of: 1), 2), 3), 4) and 6). If I don't want something, but it's perfectly useable, then I'll either sell it, or if not, donate it to a charity store. If they don't want the stuff, and no one else does, then I'll bin it.

Pooch

We've been together 18 years and she hasn't felt the need to have a shufty as yet.

Wednesday is my day off, shes at work,so havin a clear out(her stuff) and have just found 8 old next catalogues. WHY?

I love how when you refer to having a clear out, you always say "her stuff". I wish I could get away with that!

I'm a bit of a mixture too. I can't throw away cables, allen keys, screw drivers, even if I have several in the same size, and I have about 20 of the same size from Ikea stuff!
I never seem to get rid of books even if I have read them and never plan on reading them again, so instead I bought a Kindle, so all new books are invisible. :)
I also have boxes in the loft of stuff that has long since broken and binned, but it takes more effort to sort them than leave them where they are, which is unseen. :)

i like to have spares of things. eg the shower head split and water was coming out the side of the head so no problem i thought got one up in the loft. no i didnt it was one of the few things i chucked when i had a clear out a few weeks back now very annoyed :facepalm:

That's a thread in itself :D

How many times did you need something the day after you threw it out?

Closely followed by: how many times did you buy a new something only to find the old one when you got home.

with their closely aligned:

"where is that old so and so" reply "I threw it out last week"

and "I bought a new so and so because I couldn't find the old one" reply " Oh I put it in with the thingamajigs, here you are..."

I love how when you refer to having a clear out, you always say "her stuff". I wish I could get away with that!
:)

That's why I always tidy my stuff away when I've done with it. I just don't give her the opportunity to tidy/throw my stuff. Wifey on the other hand will just
Leave her truck lying around for ever. She inherited her untidiness from her mother(that's 5 x times worse)

I don't hoard at all. All my DVD, Blu rays, I back up to my NAS, store the discs them selves and chuck the covers which take up space.

Have a kindle so don't store books etc. Probably suits modern times with the sizes of flats/houses etc.

Clothes I no longer wear I donate to Charity.

I'm a hoarder :(

I've loads of stuff needs selling or junking.
Too lazy I guess :rolleyes:

My wife and I are ruthless chuckers.

If it doesn't move. Ebay or carboot it. (but never just chuck it...)

We regularly go through the cupboards. If we haven't used or worn something for a while - then out it goes. Better to sell it whilst there is still some value in it (rather than keep it for so long it becomes an antique)

My wife regularly lists stuff on ebay every thursday night, and asks every week what is there to sell. She looks forward to free listing days :)

This is my study (a couple of years back, computers now updated)
If it gets any more untidy than this, I know it is time for a clear out.

3881715056_20ab1cba64_z.jpg

I only keep as much as fits in the cupboards. When they are full, then something has to go!

We can even put cars in our garage :D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom