Are you a GRAW lefty ?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by neilo, Mar 13, 2006.

1. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Lead designer issues a short comment on southpaw woes

Those of you who have picked up a copy Ghost Recon Advanced Warfigter since its release last Friday will already be well aware of the giant leap into the next-gen of gaming it represents.

However, over the weekend forums have been buzzing with less than appreciative comments - specifically in regard to the lack of 'southpaw' control options.

For those of you unfamiliar with this terminology (and are not fight fans...), 'southpaw' is a phrase used to describe the left handed among us. And currently they are the ones who are finding GRAW unintentionally though to handle...

Inclusion of a control system for lefties would enable the option of reversing the move and look functionality of the analogue sticks to better suit those who favour their left side, and these woes have not gone unnoticed by lead multiplayer designer Christian Allen.

In a very short response to the criticism of this flaw, he said the following to a user on the official Ubisoft forum; "Southpaw will not be available at ship. We have the message; the appropriate people have been notified."

It seems almost inevitable that this issue will therefore be addressed in a forthcoming patch, although at this stage nothing has been confirmed. Just how a considerable percentage of the gaming comunity were isolated by a control niggle in the first place remains a mystery though.

Keep it www.oxm.co.uk for any further news on this situation as we get it and remember that Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is reviewed in issue 06 of OXM360 - The Official Xbox Magazine, on sale now. There is also a developer interview featuring the aforementioned Christian Allen as well as Adrian Lacey in our Readers Only section of this site, unlockable with the access code found on the accompanying demo disc of issue 06.

Are you left handed and own a copy of GRAW? Tell us how this has affected your gameplay in the comments box below.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/articles/news/strategy/ghost_recon_update_for_those_left_out

2. m40wen

m40wen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yep this has been a big point with me though its not southpaw i want its legacy. I also like the way that basically the developer realised that this was an issue but realeased it anyway. SHOCKING.

A point I wish to know though - do all games reviewers play fps the same way? Suspicious...

3. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    I'm left handed but I always like to try and stick it out with right handed controls, sometimes you don't have the option so I just don't get used to it.

4. Jamesy_UK

Jamesy_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    To be honest i been playing consoles for so long now even as a southpaw I just use standard right handed controls cause well, ''if you can't beat em, join em''
    It is akward but now probably no more awkward than getting used to using the 'southpaw' controls after forcing myself into right hand use.

5. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    i have always used 'walk with left' ,'look with right' controls and have never had a problem (am a southpaw).
    i can even use scissors!:)

6. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    That's just boasting :D

I have to get an adult to help

7. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    me too!:smashin:

and open tin cans with a can opener:D

8. bramski

bramski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can use my left or my right or both at the same time, I can even swap hands without skipping a beat :D

Seriously though, I'm left handed and I've always used left for walk right for aim, but on PC shooters I use mouse for aim in my left and cursors for walk with my right, it's weird but it works.

9. ovany1

ovany1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im a left handed player and im having ZERO problems and times thinking this game is well a little too easy.