1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are yes PIXELS Hummmm

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Malone, May 26, 2002.

1. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Thought I'd post this thread so as to maybe give a bit of hope. Received my VW11HT from AV-Sales about 3 weeks ago ish, on fire up I noticed a BRIGHT green pixel in the lower third and in a third from the right. Having read various posts relating to "dead pixels" and with the Mrs saying, "No way I can watch that etc etc etc" I could see the pj going back, however I called AV-Sales who after a few phone calls , arranged for mine to be picked up and a loan to be sent. The latest i've heard is Sony have agreed to repair my machine. So fingers crossed.

On another note after reading various posts regarding the poor picture delivered by composite to a pj, and with Monaco this weekend and the World Cup looming and unfortunately no RGB to Component converter I bought a 10 metre relatively cheap phono lead (mainly for audio as it is red and white) which i've connected this morning , scart from vcr out on Sky (as its composite anyway) to (phono) video in on my amp, then this "audio" lead to the pj has, to my surprise, given me a superb picture, so unless somebody can confirm that a converter would give me a far superior picture I think i'll save myself a few quid and stick with composite for Sky.....

Matt........:)

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a lot of mis-understanding when it comes to the science of interconnect cables in the minds of AV and hi-fi enthusiasts. Most believe that an expensive cable is inherently better than a cheap one, and of course this line is pushed by retailers as they are a high profit item.

With AV and hi-fi signals being of such low current, just about any cable is going to transmit with no signal loss over a few meters or so. A cable that is shielded should only cost a few pounds more.

The signal down composite is compressed, but only in a minor way. The signal down SVHS isn’t compressed. If a pj gives a bad picture of Composite or SVHS its down to its electronics, not the standards.

El

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Cheap audio cables are not a good substitute for proper video leads. The shielding isn't good enough to prevent interference, and they are rarely 75 Ohm impedance. This can cause a shift in picture brightness.

Regards