Are Yamaha really that good ?

Brox

Standard Member
Are Yamaha receivers really that good or is What hifi biased, I've just seen the latest what hifi where the Yamaha once again completely trounces the competition, I used to have a Yamaha receiver the 592 RDS and yes it was good but not that good especially in stereo - bags of features and sound effects that I didn't use, and an impedance switch.

I'm not saying they arn't good - but that good i,m not so sure.

I also noticed that once again Harman kardon (my favourite) is not in the test - how does this work, do companies ask to be included or does what hifi decide?
 

nunew33

Standard Member
For the 630 level of reciever:

The latest Yamaha (630) is a vast improvement on the 620. Found it very hard to make a choice between the 630 and Marantz5200. It is good (but in my case alone, not good enough).

Even the dealer was impressed who felt yamaha had lost its way after the DSPA595
 

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Originally posted by Brox
Are Yamaha receivers really that good or is What hifi biased, I've just seen the latest what hifi where the Yamaha once again completely trounces the competition, I used to have a Yamaha receiver the 592 RDS and yes it was good but not that good especially in stereo - bags of features and sound effects that I didn't use, and an impedance switch.

I'm not saying they arn't good - but that good i,m not so sure.

I also noticed that once again Harman kardon (my favourite) is not in the test - how does this work, do companies ask to be included or does what hifi decide?


Magazine reviews are the opinion of an individual. They are to be used only as a guide to what you should demo with your own ears and make up your own mind.

As for Harman products, it could be that they don't send any review models out to the Mags, not that the Mags are avoiding them.

My own opinion on Yamaha are that they have lost there way for a while, but their new products which I have heard are very good and back on form. I have had Yamaha products from the 2070 to the 3090 to the A2 and they were excellent amps which trounced the comp, but then again there were less makes and models to compare with back in those days, things have moved on and there are more capable machines these days.

Another thing i have noticed about Harman products are that they have a very brash American sound, which some here in the UK dont like. But from the models I have heard they are OK, and certainly better than the models of old, don't think I would have one though.
 

Brox

Standard Member
THX1138 - Thank for your comments although I am shocked by the way you described the HK sound unless I am misunderstanding the way you are using the term 'brash', in my experience (AVR500) they are warm sounding with a rich bass.

In fact receivers like the Denon 3802 sound very 'thin' in comparison (in stereo) I use this as an example because I have recently demoed it.
 

Ian J

Banned
It does seem that magazines wait for manufacturers to send them product to be reviewed as HCC often replies, when asked why something hasn't been reviewed, that the manufacturer hasn't sent them one.

It's a shame that they don't adopt the "Which" policy of buying anonymously in the marketplace to ensure that they are receiving a standard product and not something that has received special attention before submitting it for review.
 

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Originally posted by Brox
THX1138 - Thank for your comments although I am shocked by the way you described the HK sound unless I am misunderstanding the way you are using the term 'brash', in my experience (AVR500) they are warm sounding with a rich bass.

In fact receivers like the Denon 3802 sound very 'thin' in comparison (in stereo) I use this as an example because I have recently demoed it.

Brash, in the sense of in your face, not laid back, some like this others don't again personal preference.

Ian
I couldn't agree more, i am sick to death of the likes of What Hi Fi and Hcc waiting to be sent a sample peice of kit that is proberly far from what the actual commercial kit is like. And i am sick tro death of these reviewers who think they are god! There was only one AV God Reviewer, and unfortunately he has been up there for a while now, sorely missed.
 
K

konghh

Guest
I don't have the What HiFi. So what are the receivers tested in the latest What Hifi?

I had the Yamaha RX-V596 before and find it typical AV standard for music, i.e., enhanced treble etc but the 630 is a vast improvement. Much more warm sounding and huge differences in tonal balance.
 

Reiner

Active Member
... and an impedance switch.

What is so bad about that?


I couldn't agree more, i am sick to death of the likes of What Hi Fi and Hcc waiting to be sent a sample peice of kit that is proberly far from what the actual commercial kit is like.

Feel free to sponsor them by buying the kit on the high street ... :D
 

Geezer

Active Member
Originally posted by THX 1138


Ian
I couldn't agree more, i am sick to death of the likes of What Hi Fi and Hcc waiting to be sent a sample peice of kit that is proberly far from what the actual commercial kit is like. And i am sick tro death of these reviewers who think they are god! There was only one AV God Reviewer, and unfortunately he has been up there for a while now, sorely missed.


Surely you should be more annoyed with the manufacturers sending the magazines kit that has been tweaked to perfection unlike the stuff thats sold in store. I bought a yamaha RX-V630Rds reciever recently from someone i know at Yamaha and it was a model that had been setup to be sent to What Hifi so i was very pleased indeed sounds lovely and only £150
 

Brox

Standard Member
Reiner - I quote from "What Video & TV" in an article about the Yamaha DSP-A5

"The rear panel won't give you such a warm and fuzzy feeling however as the DSP-A5 has that scourge of the budget amplifier, a loudspeaker impedance switch. Only compromised amps need such a switch, as it simply lowers the power supply voltage rail feed to the output section and subsequently the output capability.
This protects the amp from overheating or current-demand induced semiconducter failure.

The need to deliberately limit performance to prevent failure when accommodating a 4ohm or 6ohm load is an outmoded notion in terms of amplifier design and we're dismayed to see Yamaha perpetuating such a feature"

Article written by Stuart M Robinson Nov 2000 issue
 

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom