1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are we trading off standards just because its flat and light ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by SILVERBACK, Jan 3, 2005.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    been doing a hell of a lot of reading up on plasmas recently and one minute i want the next i dont.basically the thing putting me off is the trade off`s from owning a crt tv to own a biggger flatter set.i read about the 200 hours running in at minimum contrast and think "fair enough id rather do that then wreck my screen" next thing is the upgrades,scart slot isnt good enough you need a js convertor to get a better pic out of rgb sources then theres the screen burn issue and the fact if you watch a film with borders etc you have to put up with a small amount of ghosting on the screen for a few minutes where the borders where.then i think to myself "jesus you need to babysit the bloody thing" and even then in the back of your mind your gonna be thinking "how long have i had this game on for" or "the logo`s on this channel are a bit bright" you know stuff along those lines.

then theres buzzing isues,dead pixels,viewing distance while i appreciate the size is alot bigger than the current CRT`s while being lighter etc i just think theres a certain bit of (for want of a better word)blindness when it comes to plasma buying and what where prepared to put up with just to own a flat fashion tv.im not having a pop at plasma owners but im just finding it hard to make the switch to a tv i would have to molly coddle from the set i have where i just switch it on and not have to worry about burn,banding,quality of football games,old movies which havent be remastered etc.

i understand the benefits aswell bigger screens,space saving,lighter,high spec perfomance from dvd which using hdmi is jaw dropping etc.i just get the feeling when i have watched my friends that i wouldnt exactly be entirely happy with a plasma for normal sky tv viewing and i wouldnt want to bring it up half way through a programme with my mate as you know what thats like when some one starts pointing faults or weaknesses on your pride and joy.and im not expecting anyone to reply to this to be honest and say "yeah i think i did make a mistake" as its easier to plop your head in the sand then admit to a £1500+ mistake.so would you say im being over critical of plasmas or are the trade offs really worth the molly coddling ?

HD doesnt really come into the arguement as you cant do this on a CRT anyway.

2. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was terrified when I finally made the plunge and bought a Panny PW6 because I know myself well enough to recognise that I'd beat myself up forever if it was less than perfect. I'm also honest enough to say I would admit it to you and myself if I thought I had made a mistake.
    Guess what? it's not perfect, but I don't regret it for a second! The picture with DVD is simply stunning and you WILL be happy. The picture using Sky is nearly always wonderful too - even though I have Tivo which introduces extra processing/solarisation.
    As far as complications go, I made it all easy by using a component switching amp and just having one lead going to the VGA port.
    I'm actually surprised at how good the picture is when the source material isn't perfect and whatever anyone says to the contary "size matters" when it comes to enjoyment!
    All the above comments are only valid as long as you chose the right screen of course!
    I guess the good news is, if you're still not sure the screens are only going to get better and cheaper if you wait!...

Simon

3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    cheers for your personnal view as i find people who actually own the equipment who have bought it themselves are actually some of the best to get a review off ,magazines etc dont have to live with the equipment and they certainly dont pay for it out of there own cash.this is the kinda response that makes it so hard to make up your mind though as one minute i convinced myself i have neither the time nor the patients to babysit a tv then when i think about the badboy sat on my soundstyle it just makes you want one lol.once again thanks for your view point.

my words about plasma owners being to a certain degree blind and putting the heads in the sand etc is not a dig btw but i dont want to edit it out of my post as it will make me look like a bit of a **** house lol.

4. freeman

freeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I see no trade offs at all :confused:

I wouldn't go back to crt now I've got plasma :D

Once the plasma is set up right (most of us & the shops that sell them don't know how to do it properly ) with the right conectors you can use it like the old crt set :thumbsup:

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    thats just cause we are a bunch of anal anoraks mate 90% of plasma owners treat them like a Telly and why not the are... everything that efffects a plasma effects other tecnologies and apart from dead pixel CRT suffer all the same issues, just with a TV which has poor scart you have little choice but with Plasma (panny) particularly............ :smashin: :smashin: you wont regret IT

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    All the advice about running in of plasmas is only there because the technology is new, and there's lots of "old wives tales". Only last weekend my brother-in-law was trying to tell me that my plasma TV would have to be "regassed" in three years time :laugh:

When I was a TV engineer many years ago, I wasn't allowed to service the colour sets when colour first came out, because we had a dedicated colour TV engineer (who was treated like a god), and every colour TV sold had to be installed and set up by him. In the early days of colour, people were also advised to keep the contrast low, to "run the tube in". Thirty years on, people would buy their colour TV's from the local supermarket, plug it in and switch it on.

All technologies have their advantages and disadvantages. CRT TV's were rugged and long-lasting, but they suffered from poor focus at the screen edges, and convergeance and screen geometry problems, and the bigger screen sizes were very bulky. It was also possible to have missing or incorrect colour dots on the tube display, and CRT TV's were susceptable to screen burn (especially the earlier TV's). Plasma screens have no geometry or colour registration problems, and they are thin enough to be wall mounted, but they can suffer from pixel dropout and screen burn. Plasma TV's can be made in very large sizes without any increase in the depth of the screen. LCD screens are more "laggy" than plasma, and the contrast ratio is not so good, but they are smaller and lighter than plasma TV's. Although they still suffer from pixel death, modern LCD's don't suffer from screen burn. DLP TV's suffer from increased running costs because they are mechanical, and they use a bulb which is expensive to replace. DLP can suffer from pixel death, but not screen burn. The viewing angle on rear-projected DLP sets can be a problem.

You pay your money, and take your choice, but none of them are perfect ! :suicide:

7. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I certainly don't regret buying my Panasonic TH42PE30, the whole family is thrilled with it and there is no way we would go back to a 32 inch crt set. The picture is fantastic.

I too was concerned, however, I have followed the advice here of getting the set out of dynamic mode as soon as it was set up and having the contrast set at roughly half. The pictures perfect on these settings in any case. The only other thing we are doing is making sure nothing is static on the screen for long which is easy to do. I have not had any problems so far.

We just use it as intended as a tv and sit back and enjoy the screen in all its glory.

8. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also had a bit of tooing and frowing about plasma and crt decided on a wide screem Toshiba until the price of the 37" Viera dropped below £2000. Had mine up and running ten days now with not a problem in sight. I am observing all the run in advice which is not to difficult, will look into having it professionaly calibrated and have no regrets about my choise of plasma.