1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we there yet?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by DaveP, Jun 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had sky+ since it was first available and I'm very pleased with it. But...

I've had a play with an HTPC and it's very good in parts, But...

So now I'm wondering if we have reached the stage where the technologies have merged.

What I want is the functionality of the sky+, but obviously for Freeview, combined with the facilities of a PC. I want to be able to connect to my TV easily (like sky+) with RGB scart or component cables. I'd like a DVI/HDMI connection for my pj and I'd like to be able to get at the files from my PC so I can edit out adverts and convert to WMV or DivX etc. Oh, and I'd like it to be reliable but that's probably asking too much!

Is there such a box on the market?

Thanks

Dave

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, over 60 views and no replies so it would seem we still have some way to go!

How about if I reduce the requirements?

TV Set top box with 2 RGB scarts (OK, one will do!). USB connectivity so I can connect my PC to it and extract the files for editing, viewing and burning to DVD.

Disk should be standard 3.5" device and should be easily upgradeable.

There must be one of these about, surely?

Dave

3. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    The Topfield TF5800

Richard

4. dr-manhattan

dr-manhattan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, it looks like the Topfield is the only one available.

I have a Media Centre PC but connecting to a CRT TV for general viewing is a PITA. I wish I could afford an HD plasma and that would solve all my problems but I'm very limited on my budget.

Thanks for the replies though guys.

Dave