Are we paying to much for key meter gas and electricity?

Bigfoot9

Ex Member
Reaction score
We have begin with EDF for many years now on the pay and go key meters. We pay £40 a week to them, £30 electricity and £10 gas, for a while I thought we are paying to much for it, £160 month seems a hell of a lot.

Tonight I was chatting to my next door neighbor and he says they only spend £20 a week for theirs. Ten pound on each meter, same size house with three adults, same as our house. Only they use British gas. I've rang edf and they say we are paying the right amount and we can't move tariffs as they is only one for key meter users.

I've done a price check with uswitch and British gas comes about the same price as we paying now. Do yous think it's worth moving? This is the first time we have even thought about moving suppliers so not sure.

Sorry we call them key meters round here. We have like a prepaid debit card that we top up with money at the local shop, then insert the card to the gas meter and the money goes on the meter to allow us to use the gas. Same for the electricity.

It looks like there are two possibilities here: either one or both of your or their meters are faulty, or they simply use half as much energy as you do. It's seems unlikely that the difference is down to a different "supplier" given the tariff is similar. Can you compare notes with the neighbour and try and figure out whether they are more frugal than you are?

£160 is a hell of a lot to be paying why doi you not go on to a regular meter the utility company will change the meter over for you st no cost and it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I would not be suprised if you could protentily half your monthly bill if you did change over.

It looks like there are two possibilities here: either one or both of your or their meters are faulty, or they simply use half as much energy as you do. It's seems unlikely that the difference is down to a different "supplier" given the tariff is similar. Can you compare notes with the neighbour and try and figure out whether they are more frugal than you are?

We have just being doing that. During they day they is two adults in both house, and three on the evening.
Both have a PC and laptops running. The only difference is, they use a built in gas hob with electric oven, where as our cocker is full electric. So I'm not sure what to think or do now. How do them meters work that show you what uses the most power? Can we just buy them or does edf need to fit them?

£160 is a hell of a lot to be paying why doi you not go on to a regular meter the utility company will change the meter over for you st no cost and it's a hell of a lot cheaper. I would not be suprised if you could protentily half your monthly bill if you did change over.
They meters where in when we get the house. So never known anything else. But yeah we are thinking about that.

It would be nice tho if we can be paying the same as next door then we don't need to worry about big bills doing in.

There will be a reason, how do you heat your water? I would check that your Emerson heater isn't left on permanently if you have one.

You need to check exactly how much you are paying per unit, then compare it to a normal meter with direct debit payments. Key/prepay meters are usually a lot more expensive than ordinary meters.

I only use a prepayment meter for electric and it costs me 12 quid a week roughly. That's through Scottish power. No real help but may give an idea on costs. That's a 3 bed semi with 4 people. Central heating and water is all gas which I pay by normal direct debit.

Why are you on a key meter? The unit costs are higher with those.

For me it was an option of paying an outstanding balance, be cut off or prepayment. That was a while back now when I was in a bit of trouble but to be honest after having it I know exactly what I'm using and can adjust accordingly. I actually spend less now per month than I did before.

We are paying 14.8p per unit of electricity. We are thinking about moving, just don't have a clue where to start.

Prepay metres are often installed when someone has trouble keeping up with bills, or as the result of a court order against someone who gets behind. They can be configured to "pay off" a debt making the unit costs higher.

I once purchased a repossessed property and it indeed had such a metre and it was eating through money incredibly quickly. I got it changed to a standard metre as quickly as possible, and then you can shop around for contracts. You would save money doing the same.

Prepay metres are often installed when someone has trouble keeping up with bills, or as the result of a court order against someone who gets behind. They can be configured to "pay off" a debt making the unit costs higher.

I once purchased a repossessed property and it indeed had such a metre and it was eating through money incredibly quickly. I got it changed to a standard metre as quickly as possible, and then you can shop around for contracts. You would save money doing the same.

We are really starting to think it's not right, we have spoke to many other people near us and no one is paying anywhere near we are paying.

Are you sure you are not paying off an outstanding balance?
Or have the meters not been re-calibrated after paying of what was an outstanding balance?

Are you sure you are not paying off an outstanding balance?
Or have the meters not been re-calibrated after paying of what was an outstanding balance?

No it's our first house together.

First off all phone edf your current suppliee (it is a free phone number) and ask to be changed to a regular meter and pay via direct debit. Edf will estimate your usage over a year and take out a set figure each month currently for me it is £65 per month split on the gas and electric.

You can see each month on your statement weather you are in credit or not and if your monthly dd is not enough edf will adjust the monthly amount to a figure more in line with what you use.

Once you have a few bills and can work out your usage and can then look at moving to a cheaper supplier if thire is one.

Last edited:
Just out of interest have you worked out the unit costs and what are they?

I'm phoning ovo tomorrow as they fit smart meters for new customers, that way we can see how much we using easier.

But first I want edf to look at the meter as we have used £11 I'm 3 days. We have spoke to quite a few people now who use these key meters and they are all shocked by how much they cost us. Most people use £10 a week.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom