Are we being spoiled these days

EvilEdna

Established Member
Reaction score
A few years ago a friend of mine spent nearly £2500.00 on a Philips 32 inch flat screen tv, he thought it was the dogs (so did i), to be honest looking back it was not that great, how times have change, now you can get a 65 inch 1080p all singing and dancing tv for that, and yet we still moan, why? come on people we have never had it so good.

Because we're spoilt brats expecting too much for little outlay as its our right.

Sarcasm intended there:)....though it is true lol.

It's called progress so don't knock it, like you say we have never had it so good.:)

I paid £5k for a 50" rear projection tv back in 1992, £1200 for my first VCR 30+ years ago,£600 for my first DVD player and £40 per laser disc back in the 90's.

Young whippersnappers these days don't know how lucky they are .:D

Last edited:
Cue Monty Python sketch...

I paid £550 for my first DVD player and £350 for a PS3, the uproar over the initial PS3 price was way OTT IMO people calling it a con etc lol clearly demonstrated the change in our culture for me. Expect more for less, not even quantity over quality, people expect quantity and quality at a bargain price, no wonder we make so little in the UK.

I paid £550 for my first DVD player and £350 for a PS3, the uproar over the initial PS3 price was way OTT IMO people calling it a con etc lol clearly demonstrated the change in our culture for me. Expect more for less, not even quantity over quality, people expect quantity and quality at a bargain price, no wonder we make so little in the UK.

Nah we just exploit the cheap labour in the developing world to make it for us and complain when stuff gets more expensive or the quality is poor :rolleyes:

£2.5k for a philips lcd tv ? that does not sound quite right , the very most expensive model in that screen size was 32pf9731 and included those silly ambi lights for about £1800 which very quickly ( circa 6 months ) fell to circa £900 . What model did your friend purchase ?

The OP said Flatscreen TV - not LCD.
I imagine he's referring to a CRT model (probably top of the Matchline series).

The OP said Flatscreen TV - not LCD.
I imagine he's referring to a CRT model (probably top of the Matchline series).

Yes I was forgetting the crt range , there was indeed some matchline & designline / classicline TV's in that price range . How times have really changed !

The first Plasma I saw on sale in the UK was a Philips, not sure how big the screen was, but it looked huge at the time. Designed for the American market the definition did not even meet UK SD standards. The price, as I recall, was around the £10k mark ! It was playing a VHS tape and the aspect ratio was set up totally wrong. Onlookers thought it looked marvellous.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom