1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we being ripped off with HIdef?!!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Chadd, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Chadd

Chadd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys i think we are getting ripped off. Here is my issue.
    Most widescreen digital television sets claim to display a max resolution of 1080i, be they LCD, DLP or PLASMA, or even the old CRT projections. Now here is my porblem with this, my tv says it can do 1080i, but its native resolution is 1280x720! This is 720p Not 1080i! Now accoridng to multiple sources on the net, 720p is 1280x720, 1080i is 1920x1080. As far as i can find there is only one tv that can currently do true 1080I, and its an lcd from sharp, a small lcd, about 30+ incles! All this means that most of our televisions are taking a 1080i signal and downconverting it to 720P! Now i know 720p has disadvantages over 1080I especially in scenes with fast motion, but if my tv is advertised as being able of doing 1080i then it should be able to do true 1080i no? Guys please clarify or correct me if i am wrong on this but i think we are getting ripped off here!

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    They can "display it" - even if they have had to scale it.
    Manufacturers who have true native 1080i display capability would have to state something like "native 1080i display capability" or specifically quote support for "1920 x 1080 non-scaled" display.
    We may end up with the farcical HDTV and EDTV labels used in the USA ; these are clear enough to those who have have non a little homework but not to Mr Joe Public-USA.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.