Are we all being treated as idiots?

js474

Banned
When I have to call Sky it always takes 2 and a half minutes to actually speak to someone (what a coincidence :confused: ). My queries are straightforward yet I have to endure the endless drone offering me various options, many of which seem quite obscure and must surely apply to a tiny, tiny majority of callers.

Yes I know that menus are now a way of life, but without a doubt SKY IS THE WORST! What really annoys me is:

1/ the options are definitely repeated in the sub-menus to lengthen the call.....
2/ .....because Sky receive a financial kick-back from BT for using an 08702 number
3/ probably the most-used option is finally reached after 2 and half minutes

I mentioned the lengthy wait to the last operative (not sure what country I was speaking to) and was text-book pacified and spoken to like a child with an assurance that my comments would be passed on. Yeah right - as if they care!!

Does anybody know of any shortcuts when calling the main number? When I call my Bank I can hit '#' and get straight through, and I know this works with other organisations.

I dislike Sky more than words can say & have returned to them after 2 years only because I cannot receive Freeview. I was hoping for an improvement but am sadly disappointed! It's just one great big money-making machine...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

SamRadford

I haven't phoned Sky in 5 years. Why would you want to phone?

js474

Banned
1/ Problem after initial install
2/ Further box problem
3/ Enquiry re. Sky+
4/ Sky+ upgrade

I don't phone them through choice, hence my initial post "....when I HAVE to call Sky..."

SamRadford

Use email. It's free and you can do something else while you wait for the reply.

cerebros

Use email. It's free and you can do something else while you wait for the reply.

And just how quickly do they respond to e-mail? It's my experience with most organisations when you contact them for technical support that unless they have very good customer service you're going to be waiting 2 days for a response (assuming you get a response).

Certainly from js474's point about problems after initial install I'd want to speak to someone ASAP, not send an e-mail and hope someone gets back to me at some point in the future

Dinsdale

Standard Member
I agree with js474. It's ridiculous. Once you do get through, you get the worst service ever. I was left without broadband for a month because of the incompetence of the customer service folk at Sky.

I had to go and see a woman on Sky retail face to face. She seen my problem through to the very end until I got sorted. It's a shame she has a boyfriend, I would like to thank her properly.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I understand your pain. Here are some tips (some general and some specific to Sky) that I use when dealing with call centres

(a) Don't use 0870 numbers. Real alternatives can be found on the 'Say No to 0870' website. Usually gets you through to the same number but at least you aren't being charged through the nose.

(b) Don't respond to menus. Quite often if you just ignore the menus and don't make any entry you will be put through to a human automatically - note that the menu system might try 2 or 3 times to get your response, ignore them all.

(c) Try and ring Sky at a time when India is snuggly tucked up in bed. That way you stand a pretty good chance of getting through to Edinburgh.

(d) If you want to be really tough, it's useful to have something that you are prepared to cancel - and be prepared to go through with it - don't worry about 'biting your nose off' you can always add it back later if your threat doesn't work.

Cheers,

Nigel

js474

Banned
Thanks for that Nigel - I'll definitely try it!

And cheers for your 'advice' SamR - having a bad day were we? Shame.

SamRadford

And cheers for your 'advice' SamR - having a bad day were we? Shame.

What was the purpose of this personal attack? I gave perfectly reasonable advice in an attempt to help you get action quickly. Did you send an email? You'd have had a reply by now.

gavan

What was the purpose of this personal attack? I gave perfectly reasonable advice in an attempt to help you get action quickly. Did you send an email? You'd have had a reply by now.

A more helpful response might have been to actually point out in your original reply that he could use email instead of phoning - rather than a cryptic smart-alec remark.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom