1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we about to see a major plasma price drop?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by NicolasB, Sep 1, 2005.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    There have been several different rumours lately which suggest that we might be about to see a substantial drop in plasma prices. The 6th generation Pioneer screens look like they could be £1000 cheaper than the previous generation. Panasonic PHD8 sets are looking extremely cheap (on foreign sites, anyway, not here :mad: ). There are rumours of a 65", 1920x1080 Panasonic plasma selling in the £5K to £6K range, perhaps in the new year. And other stories about 1080p plasmas.

Do you think there's going to be a major drop in price over the next few months?

2. craigae

craigae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I don't think it's going to be as major as people expect. The crappy non-HD plasmas will be much cheaper, and we'll probably see a massive influx of rebadged screens thru the likes of Tesco and Argos for less than £1,000. But the latest 720p and 1080p screens are always going to be £1,500 and up for a while yet i reckon.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I'm not expecting a decent large plasma for £1500 any time soon. But if we really do see a 1080p, 65" plasma for £5K, that's barely more expensive than a 50" 1366x768 plasma now, so it would represent a huge shift in price/performance. Similarly, if we were to see 50" 1366x768 screens selling for £2500, that would be a massive (and very welcome) change.