Are Vista-only games forward compatible with Windows 7 Beta?

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Waynej, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Simple really, and I guess the answer depends on if anyone has Vista-only games or has heard elsewhere. The likes of Halo 2 and Shadowrun are marked as Vista-only and don't work under previous OS's such as XP etc.

I've got the Win 7 Beta burned, and am just backing up some of data now, but just thought about this potential problem this very moment.

If Halo 2 PC does not work under the Windows 7 Beta, then I won't be installing Windows 7 tonight.

Hopefully someone can have an answer for me as I was hoping to try out Windows 7 later tonight. :smashin:

2. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    just a sales ploy mate, the vista only or games for vista etc is just for the vista score rateing..

3. willduval

willduval

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Simple answer is yes - Windows 7 and Vista are very closely related, W7 being based on the Vista kernal.

As far as games go, the keydifference between XP and Vista that makes some games "Vista Exclusive" is the DirectX version - XP does not support DX10 whereas Visat and Windows 7 do.

4. McPhee

McPhee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    I'm running Windows 7 as my only OS at the moment and it's fine for gaming, had no issues at all. The latest ATi Catalyst drivers for Vista even work (there's a Win7 driver as well, but no Catalyst Control Centre for it).