1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are USB2 Video Capture devices any good?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Jonny1973, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let me explain my situation first.

I've just built a 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 HTPC based on the Shuttle SB83G5, so since it's a small form factor PC it only has one spare PCI slot and a PCI-Express slot used by my X700 Pro graphics card.

I'd like to add a video capture card but I don't really want it to takeup my only PCI slot just in case I want to add a real soundcard instead of using the built-in AC97 audio. Thats why I'd like to go down the USB2 route.

I did consider an ATI All-In-Wonder graphics card but there isn't a PCI-E version available in Europe and the the US version has had mixed reviews.

Has any had any experience with USB2 video capture? Ideally I want one thats USB powered, has it's own MPEG2 encoder.

Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations? Has anyone used a Teratech Grabster???

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've never used a HCPC, but I do a lot of video editing and have to say that you can never get full quality video onto a PC via USB as it is just not up to it! In theory USB2.0 is faster than firewire, that I use to capture, but in practice USB2.0 can not sustain the transfer rate and therefore you get loads of dropped frames and lower resolution.
    So I'm afraid that if PQ is your aim then you will need to use the one spare PCI slot you have.

Mark.

3. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark,

It would mainly be used for watching live TV from my Sky+ on my projector and the odd bit of recording. I'm not too bother if the recordings are not top drawer as longs as TV looks fine.

Firewire might be an option also, I think I have a firewire port around the back. Mark, what firewire device do you use to capture video with?

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Sony TRV-900e camcorder.
    As I say I have never looked into HCPC, but I'm sure there must be some firewire devices for connecting high quality analogue equipment as it does have the bandwidth.

Mark.