Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Are USB connectors standard?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Agincourt, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just bought an iRiver H340. It can be charged using a USB connector. I also have a Garmin Etrex GPS, which came with an in car power supply with exactly the same USB connector.

My question is: can I use this to charge my iRiver? The voltage is the same (5V) for both, and I would assume USB connectors use a standard protocol so polarity wouldn't be a problem, but wondered whether anyone out there knew for sure?

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never had a problem switching and swapping between a variety of proprietry USB cables, so I imagine they are standard.

3. kimmie

kimmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, if the voltage is the same, it should be no problem. especially if its the "exactly the same".

4. Agincourt

Agincourt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I've tried it, and it hasn't fried my DAP! The bad news is that it thinks it's connected to a computer so switches to dumb external hard drive mode and so I can't play it. Still, it's always useful to have an alternative method of charging the battery.