1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are U pleazd with your PLAsma ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by briandzo, May 1, 2003.

1. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got a nice cheq arriving next week.
    and am considering a plasma.

Of the plasma owners out there, Are you pleased ?

its just i hear so much dissapointed from reading posts
    about artifacts etc. the usual reply being u will get
    this sort of thing with the larger display.

i will be using the display as my everyday visual
    for sky box and dvd (denon progressive model 2800)

i would convert the digibix to component and feed this to the AV amp. along with the dvd player. Then have the denon AV amp
    feed the plasma with component.

Am I going to be happy watching my sat box all am
    i going to be saying 'it looks great doesn't it mate' because
    it must do as it cost me £4000.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I haven't bought a plasma I'll be unbiased and honest. The black level seems a bit poor (or at least the gradient effect) and of course dead pixels- the one I've seen has several dead pixels. About 5 months old.

To be honest I would not buy one. IF the technology can improve the dead pixel problem, and the grey level plus higher pixel count (I can see the pixelly resolution at 7 foot) then perhaps I'll purchase one. Plus the worry of unserviceable panel, basically repair cost after warranty expiration is a cost of a new plasma screen.

The Plasma I've seen was not properly setup, so probable PQ will be better, however the issue of dead pixels and low pixel resoultion still is a problem.

I settled for a CRT RPTV instead.

[edit] oh my eyesight is farily average (with specs), but I could see the black dead pixel from 6 or 7 feet away (one smack in the middle) Very distracting!

3. MAYFACE

MAYFACE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a 32" 1 yr old panasonic CRT my new panny 42"plasma kicks its ass. I watch sky and dvd and it handles both extremly well.

Dead pixels are normally bright white aren't they....?

4. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi All,

when funds allow, (hmmm probably some time around 2069 :( )
    THE BETTER HALF and I want to get a plasma so that we can shift the 32" monolithic black lump of a toshiba widescreen out of the living room and open up the fireplace behind it, (the plasma will not be on this wall!). However my main concern isnt picture quality or dead pixels, (just make sure you argue that one out and get something in writing with the shop before handing over the cash), but in screen burn.

Seeing as most sky channels and, if they get their own way, BBC digital channels get defaced with at least one DOG now what good is my 40+" plasma going to be if I cant watch TV on it, yes DVDs are going to look terrific but that doesnt let me catch Enterprise or the news, if I cant use it as my primary display then I cant use it full stop.

So, you jammy long term plasma owners, what says you on screen burn ? Do you watch Sky/Digital channels with logos and have you seen any ill effects .. are some brands better at resisting burn or is it like the old CRT problem that it depends how high you have contrast/brightness ?

Academic for me until next year, (make that LATE next year), unless Camelot suprise me in the mean time :eek:

Cheers All

Edz

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard Plasma chucks out tons of IR noise. It would drive me batty if it locks out my IR capable equipment. You might as well fork out for a non IR pre-amp, non IR processor, non IR CD player etc!

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I love my plasma! While I'm not 100% sure about every single manufacturer I can honestly say plasmas do not interfere with IR equipment, do not need charging (someone's bound to ask this soon ;) ), do not suffer from dead pixel issues anywhere near as much as other technologies and do show up inperfections in compressed video but only if your standing right in front of the panel.

Plasmas are also perfectly flat (no edge distortion, uniform brightness across the panel :)) are thin, lighter than CRT and wall mountable (flexibility in position, space saving :)) and are natively progressive displays which can display HDTV and show great images from a scaler :).

All in all - :clap:

I reckon you should all come down to our display showcase and see for yourself. We don't have room for much but I think we've got a good selection..... And we're going to try to get a Fujitsu HHS, a Panasonic PWD5 and a Pioneer MXE all next to each other :smashin:

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I'd just add that Plasma's DO chuck out tons of IR interference. Not enought to actually stop an ir device from being controlled in a the room the plasma is housed but.....if you use an IR relay system. ie You have your equipment in a cupboard or in another room, then you have to be carefull where you position the IR receiver as it may get constantly locked up trying to relay the ir noise from the plasma. I have seen lots of installations with this issue and I have problems sometimes even in my own.

Gordon

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    How is this unbiased and honest? You decided that you didn't like plasmas and say so in many posts in this forum. I put it to you that you are biased again plasmas. :clown:

You obviously still long for a flat screen television rather than a giant monolithic CRT box, otherwise you still wouldn't be hanging the plasma/lcd forum. ;)

StooMonster :devil:

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guy asked for negatives comments regarding Plasma's.

If owners of xxxx product hail/hype up something but never reveal that's products failings then what's the point of asking?- he might as well just buy it.

Anyway, when I had a 28" Widescreen CRT I checked out Plasma's and didn't think much of them- plus seeing pixel death put me right off. I then bought a CRT RPTV. So between the time of having the 28" 16:9 and the RP I was open to comments and Plasma technology, but the more "bad" things I found out about Plasma the more it put me off. So I was unbiased in that lull period.

That swayed me to CRT RPTV. I guess after that I'm slightly biased, but least I list the pro's & cons of both technologies rather than just say "Plasma is great, CRT is rubbish"

If you want the ultimate in PQ & size I would go for a CRT Front Projector. This beats a Plasma by miles.

10. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned mnay makes of CRT, LCD and rear projection tv's, but none of them have compared with my Panasonic 50" plasma display. It is awesome! The black is BLACK, (a claimed 3000 - 1 contrast), the picture is pin sharp revealing far more detail than ever before, the registration is perfect and the range of colours exceeds any of the other formats - and not a dead pixel to be seen! Go for it and love it! No doubt the technology will continue to improve, but CRT and rear projection have both gone about as far as they can. As for CRT projectors they have met their match now with DLP and even some LCD's, and like plasma none have convergence problems to cope with.

11. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +657
    I am probably the fussiest person I know and you only have to look at my posts in the TV forum to see this.

In my quest for a large TV, I had a Panasonic, Sony (8 off) and Philips and thoroghly tested others, including Hitachi and Toshiba. ALL were far from perfect!

The main problems I had were geometry and what looked like a dirty screen.. The trouble is that ALL of the big screen CRTs were like this.

6 months ago, I had enough.. Got a refund on my CRT and bought a Toshiba 42" Plasma. I have to say that it one of the best investments I ever made.. 6 months on and I still smile when I see the picture, and its an absolute joy to watch.

I agree that its still not 100% perfect but doesn't have any awful problems like the CRTs have. As I have a Series 5 Panasonic clone, mine flickers very slightly, but its as near to perfection as you can get.

With regards to blacks not being black, there is a little truth to this.. In a totally dark room, black has a slightly green/grey hue, but is very VERY slight and has never detracted from the otherwise faultless picture.

If you have the funds, go for it.. I promise you won't regret it!

12. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i 2nd that jon weaver is the fussiest person i know ;) ;)

i bought my toshiba about 8 months ago and everytime i turn it on i grin. best thing ive ever bought, no duff pixels, i watch channels with logos for hours with no burn in,

go get if you can you wont regret it:D :D

13. sharkbait

sharkbait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Tosh 43PJ?? RPTV a few years ago and was extremely pleased with the PQ. I have Sky, DVD, VCR all connected to it and was perfectly happy with it.

About a month ago I bought a Panasonic 42PWD5 panel. My reasons were as much aesthetic as for quality of display ... I was quite happy with my RP.

Am I happy with the plasma? ... all I will say is ... "oh my God"! The PQ is unbelievable and it looks 10 times better than I ever expected. I have it set up in my bedroom with some KEF speakers buried in the ceiling. It is fantastic. I cannot comment on long term 'pixel death' or screen burn-in as I have not had it long enough - but so far I am delighted with it.

14. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a Panasonic 42" D4 from AVsales about 6 months ago and I am VERY VERY Happy with it.

I had a Sony TV before, so I know what a great picture looks like...

Its puts a smile on my face every day.

:clap: :clap:

15. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, where's Nathan gone....:rotfl: :rotfl:

It has to be the best purchase I have ever made. The impact is awesome, and the picture quality outstanding.

All the badly setup RPTV's I have seen seem out of focus and have no contrast. But of course that is an unbiased point of view.:devil:

Best thing to do is evaluate this yourself, make your own decision based on what is important to you. Some things even this forum can't help you with.

Good luck,

James

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "RP's have no contrast"

... see my snapshot with TV brightness & contrast to max, in a pitch black room....

Being sarcy by the way! :rotfl:

Attached Files:

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Nathan.

Why do you keep on insisting that RPTV produce good quality in comparison to Plasma screens ? I dont know how many times I have seen you post the same points. And every time I see it I give you the same answers.

Most people on these forums who know there stuff would say RPTV is about the worst quality you can get in terms of CRT, Plasma and Projectors. The only people that dont think this frequent the Projector forums. So if you want to go on about how great RPTV is and how bad plasma is I suggest you go in there and make your points, it is the only place you are likely to get people agreeing with you.

As I have said to you before you certainly cant compare RPTV to a decent plasma screen properly setup. Viewing angle is poor on RPTV in my opinion. Very poor. You have to sit pretty much straight in front of them or you get very marked reduction in viewing pleasure.

I have yet to see one which will function any where near accetable in anything but total darkness.

And they are huge. Really huge. Not appropriate for most peoples living rooms. Certainly not mine and it is not small by any means.

My screen does not have one dead pixel at the moment (touch wood) It does not buzz flicker or have any of the problems that you have mentioned previously. And the contrast on my screen is almost three times that of your RPTV, with superior brightness.

So how can it have poor black levels compared to your RPTV ? The answer is it cant.

In reply to the original topic of this post I am very happy with mine and would definately not go back to a CRT. And if you would like a demo I am more than happy to show you mine Nathan :smoke:

18. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not saying one is great one is bad- they just different. I like the peace of mind that a CRT is serviceable. A Plasma screen is not. Plain and simple. I cannot justify £3000 on a unservicable product.

Your answers are as valid as my comments- you prefer your Plasma- fine. Plasma has advantages over RPTV- they work progressively, very compact, perfect geometry/convergence/focus. However Plasma is not the "perfect" viewing display. Low pixel count, dead pixels, IR noise, possible buzzing, and new techbology. And a brand name is still expensive. I would not spend £3000 on a display
    CRT RPTV's have some advantages over Plasma- cheaper per inch, ability to "tweak" around :D & a couple more.

You could buy three Toshiba 42" CRT RPTV's TV's for the price of one Toshiba 42" Plasma and still have money left.

Total Darkness?- as long as no direct sunlight into the room/screen it has plenty of brightness

19. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,951
    I'm very happy with my Pioneer 433MXE, especially now I've got my HTPC hooked up to it via DVI, DVDs look absolutely fantastic! Played some hidef trailers on it as well and they look sweet! Overall if you want a large screen in a smallish room and can't put up with a projector of any description then plasmas take some beating if you ask me, ok you have to be careful with them but for what they cost that comes automatically anyway!

Andy.

20. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I have only just noticed RP against a plasma? ROTFLMAO! :rotfl: (_!_)

Have you not wondered why? Is the plasma more than three times betters than rear projection television? In one word. Yes.

When I said huge monolithic box for CRT I thought that was bad enough, but the gargantuan box for RP! Does it eclipse the sun at midday? :clown:

Sorry Nathan, your choice. We're all individuals and have our own drivers and preferences, and make our own choices. If you are happy with your choice of display then fine, enjoy it. :) If all the plasma owners in this forum are happy with their displays, then cool too. :)

Anyway... back to original poster's question...

I bought 50" Panny5 plasma and it's fabulous. I am very picky about displays, e.g. I'm typing this looking at my Sony W900 24" widescreen monitor, and it took me a long time to decide between Panny and Pio. However, IMHO any plasma of 42" or above is an excellent display be it Panny, Pio, Fuj, etc.

Plasmas certainly have a wow factor, friends and relatives will be awed when they first see it (assuming they don't have their own). And for the right reasons too, not because it looks like a giant building from Docklands moved to your living room but because the picture is excellent and the slimness is lovely particularly if it's hung on a wall.

My other television is an LCD display, and they are pretty cool too.

StooMonster

21. edz

edz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Anyone have any opinion / experience / knowledge of screen burn then ?:rolleyes:

22. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the first 100 or so hours the plasma is more likely to get burnt, but if your carefull you will be fine

i watch mtv for hours news channels the sport is on for hours at a time as long as u run a bit of full screen for a while after its fine,
    the bookies by me has a panny with a screen logo burnt on it but thats on 24 a day everyday ,

23. PVR

PVR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I must agree that having had the plasma for about 5 months now I am still as pleased as I was on day one.

Lovely picture quality, no noice, no problems, very thin and you notice it less in the room then the old CRT as it does not portrude so much. Money wise - you depreciate more on a car in the first year and you are not even thinking about that. And you spend more time watching the plasma then driving the car, so value for money ...

24. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm just sending back my 50" hde because of a dud tuner but other than that I must say I've been very pleased. Analogue picture from the tuner was crap, lots of noise but the picture from sky and dvd are both very good once the plasma bedded in a bit.
    I have now chosen the 50" mxe as a replacement(which I will get next week) as it gives you a chance to upgrade with various cards. EVEN MY WIFE LOVES OUR PLASMA AND THAT CAN'T BE BAD CAN IT.

25. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    And I tell you what, it even looks better in the box than the picture did on my Panny 36" CRT set:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Some one help me stick it on the wall - I wanna play.

Remeber, things always seem worse on this board - screen burn, pixels etc. Mind you, knowing my luck, I'll have both:suicide:

Oh, and one other thing - speak to Joe Fernand at The Media Factory [www.tmfsolutions.co.uk]. EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT SERVICE, KNOWLEDGE, PRICE, ETC. BTW - not connected in anyway (apart from his bank now has a load of my money) just credit where credit due:D :D :D :D :D

26. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all comments thus far

themmings

ive been speeking to joe . seems well helpful.
    his personal advice is the pioneer that u bought.
    can u post here your thought once u get her up and running.
    i also have the same amp as yourself.
    will u be feeding your skydigi via the amp to plaz ?
    do you have progressive scan dvd player ?
    did u buy any optional scalers (seems to be some pioneer options listed on the site)?

im almost sold on the idea....

thanks

27. themmings

themmings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Impressions when up and running - no problem.

My Sky signal will go into the Iscan ultra to imporve picture quality a wee bit. The set up will be as follows:

Sky RGB Scart into Dr Sims RGB to Component converter box. From coverter box will be component into the Ultra, and out of the Ultra will be VGA to VGA.

Cables are Supra Scart, Supra Component, Silver Serpent Better Cables VGA to VGA.

Timbo :smoke:

28. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've had a Panasonic 42 for a year now & am still chuffed to bits with it; more so the last 4 months as I've had a PS player feeding it.

Re: screen burn. None whatsoever. I watch loads of 4:3 material and NEVER use the 'just' (stretch) mode. Screen has probably been used for an average of 3 hours a day so is probably over the 1000 hour mark by now.

With regard to it not being servicable; how many miles before it needs a service then?:rolleyes:
    Surely the reason a RPTV needs to be easily servicable is because the convergence is easily disturbed. Not a problem with a plasma: 100% perfect geometry always.

29. Dixie

Dixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not to much to add to what has been said.How rear pro tvs can be good when I have a very ****** off mate with one who now regrets BIG TIME not going for plasma at the same time as I got my panny.Ah well there are some funny folk about who just think worst is best.
    I see Jon Weaver is happy.As even he says go for plasma.
    Q. for Jon did you get your creaking/cracking Tosh back in one piece and mended to your satisfaction?

30. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess people with Plasma's can afford it. Perhaps if your ceiling is £1500 you would consider a RPTV. It's a good stop-gap.

RPTV does have it's downfalls, sure. But I don't mind spending 10 mins every six months reconverging compared to the permanent and unrepairable pixel death.

RPTV is not the "worst" A bad direct view TV is terrible, but at least with a CRT RPTV any problems associated with direct views (geometry) can be fixed by the grids.

Sounds like your mate didn't converge the set Dixie.

A 50" Plasma is ~£5000, a 50" Dolby Digital RPTV set is £1600. I would rather have the 50" RPTV and spend the rest on a audio system.