1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are u Pioneer VSA AX-10 Owners happy

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Gadjet, Jun 5, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

Before I spend my money on the new amp, just a little note from anyone out there to say how happy they are, or is anyone thinking I wish I got the "Denon"

Please give me a few views,

Cheers Phill

2. Tom Braider

Tom Braider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd probably be happy - if I had one. Been waiting around 6 weeks or so now and still no sign of Pioneer bringing in any significant number. There maybe a few kicking around - at, or near full price.

3. binda

binda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moderator: Binda, you obviously were trying to say something, please edit your post accordingly or it will be deleted.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

I have been weighing up the Pioneer because of Firewire, but reading that DSD is converted to PCM nulls any advantage, compared 10i to Denon AVC-A1SR at home, preference Denon.
    Pioneer 4 Ohm shutdown also worry.
    Recently tried Rotel RSP-1066 / RMB-1095 at home, since doing so, have decided against Receiver altogether, Rotel better.
    However, 1066 doesn't have 24/192 capability so am waiting to try new Rotel pre / pro before deciding, amazingly new Arcam pre / pro doesn't do 24 /192 either, no point buying the discs if I can't play them.

5. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am very pleased with my VSA-AX10, as far as I'm concerned it's the MCACC that makes it such a graet amp'. I use Kef THX speakers all round, which are a 4 ohm load and I've never had any problems with shutdowns. My only regret is that I didn't wait for the new VSA-AX10i which is now in the stores, but of course I could upgrade if I want. By the way Tom, Sound and Vision in Farnworth have the new amp in stock.
    Steve

6. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For once the reviews were right, this amp is very very good value. The sound is certainly as good as the denon and for music it blows it away. The self claibration option is a welcome plus and does a much better job than using your ears.

On the whole would I would recomend this unit without any qualifications.

As far as four ohm loads are concerned I run 7 B&W Nautilus 803's and have had no problems.

Phil

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Phil,
    Please may I ask how long you have had your Pioneer for ?
    With seven 600 watt Brystons as a frame of reference, there is a big possibility you play loud ?
    Just curious did you try Rotels on the upgrade path ?

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Steve,
    Please may I ask how long you have had the Pioneer ?

9. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh yes fairly loud normally -12db for TV and -2 for DVD. It can run a little warm but nothing every seems to stress it.

Remember the 803's represent a very heavy load to any amp they will dynamically go as low as three ohms and also demand a high current to get them singing!

I think I got the amp around august last year nd its used every single day for at least 6 hours

Phil

10. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the Pioneer for a few weeks now and love it for music AND cinema.

I had the Denon AVC-A1D previous and appreciate the dryer more powerful sound from the Pioneer.

I also have KEF refernce speakers all round, but what is this 4 ohmn problem ??
    :confused:

11. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 4 Ohm problem is almost an urban legend, but there is some truth to it.

A guy in the states with a 49TX (US equivalent to the AX10) and a full set of Paradigm Reference (seriously cool, but very demanding load) speakers repeatedly managed to get his reciever to shut down when playing at reasonable levels. This was traced to a faulty unit IIRC.
    However other people found they could get theirs to cut out using similar high grade speakers ie KEF Ref or B&W Nautilae, by turning the volume way up during loud passages.
    People got the first instance confused with the second one. The Pioneer does not have as much real world power as the 1SR from Denon and will cut out if driving a difficult load at high volumes.
    EDIT: As will most single box units if you push them hard enough.

12. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    gringottsdirect,

"Steve,
    Please may I ask how long you have had the Pioneer ?"

I've had the amp' about three months now.

"The Pioneer does not have as much real world power as the 1SR from Denon and will cut out if driving a difficult load at high volumes."

Check out the power figures for the Denon with all channels driven, and compare with the Pioneer. The Pioneer wins hands down, and all channels driven is the real test of an amp's mettle.

13. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All channels driven is not the real test of an amplifier - current reserves, slew rate, total current delivery etc. are all far more important than simple 5/7 channels driving a simulated 8 Ohm load. 5/7 channels driven is better than 2 channels driven, or each channel driven seperately, but still not the real test of an amp's mettle.
    I'm not saying that the Denon is necessarily better than the Pioneer overall, but it is supposedly better at driving difficult low impedance loads than the Pioneer is - and there is no Denon shut down rumour as there is with the Pioneer, even if most people don't know the reason behind it.

Sorry if that seems heavy handed, I do like the AX-10 (waiting for confirmed stock of the AX-10i before I buy one), but want people to understand the issues involved.

14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Steve and Phil,
    Thank you for replys.

15. mancs

mancs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    omg look at how old this thread is.. sorry to bring it back from the dead but iv'e had my vsa ax-10 for 10 years now and still love it like a new baby :) dont think they make amps like they used to.... :)

16. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    lol I was until last weekend when it stopped outputting any sound ....

wonder how much the copper is worth melted down :) !! now will have to sell cheaply for spares or repair - what a pain.

17. mancs

mancs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    surely you can get it repaired?? ive had trouble with mine once.. sound started *spluttering* out on multi channel till it vanished completely, but, still worked in stereo.. put it in to an electrical repair place in chadderton oldham where i used to live near(dont know the name of the place and dont think its there now) which is a shame they fixed a few things for me for cheap. and it didn't cost me any money for parts, apart from labour(£35) so i think it just needed a good clean or something? not had trouble since , apart from my volume control on remote not working :( try get it repaired may be worth it.. if not send me your remote! lol, cheers.:D

18. Buckster

Buckster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Fixed :).

£3

Colleague at work said to check fuses with a meter even if looked non blown to check was not faulty mechanically (at one of ends)

Sure enough one measured open circuit and on replacement amp now detects all incoming signals !