1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are two subs better than one

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ewin, May 17, 2003.

1. ewin

ewin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a gale sw5 sub rated at 50watts but i`m thinking of adding another one to the set up.
    Question ? are two subs better than one as i`m wanting to put one at one end of the room and the other at the other of the end of the room.i:e top and bottom .Would this give more bass.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sell the Gale and buy a single quality sub, say a CHT-15, Rel Storm or a SVS.

You can have problems with dual subs, and no offense Gale are pretty down on quality.

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    One good sub is better than two bad ones imo. I haven't heard the gale sub you have but i'd bet you'd get better performance if you went for a better sub with a higher output than buying a "lesser" second sub to complement the one you've already got. I upgraded my eltax a6 sub (which was v. cheap) and replaced it with a velodyne CHT-10 (£325 from Power Buy's section) and this gave me a much better performance both musically and for movies- Much better than if i had bought another A6 because I thought the bass and lfe in films was lacking.
    What budget do you have?
    Some people have sung the praises of having a two sub set up but these tended to be two expensive/quality subs why not try a search to find a related post.

4. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    My good friend has two REL Strata III's. Imagine that. It sounds great. Mind you, it sounded pretty damn good with just one!

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I plan to get two SVS CS Ultra's.

The Strata is quite a good sub, but limited on SPL output and low frequency. I've got a Rel Storm (goes lower & louder), it's very good for most of the time- but as most things when requested to pump out high SPL's and low frequencies it just gives up.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I'm with Hawklord on this one. Two subs of the same type can sound better than just one of them, but most of the time selling your one sub and combining the money you get for it with the money you were going to spend on the second one so that you can get a single, better quality, sub will usually produce better results.

Some people maintain (rather contentiously) that a pair of Paradigm Servo 15s will sound better than a single Velodyne HGS-15, despite being cheaper. I am not in a position to judge that one. But even if that is the case it's pretty much the exception that proves the rule.

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I used to have two REL Q Bass subs and that was fun.:D

I now have a Velodyne CHT 15.

My room is 12" x 11".

The REL set up was great, but didn't output the sheer madness the Velodyne can.

However 2 Velodynes wouldn't work in my room I believe.

Too much output
    Too big.
    Too expensive.
    Overkill.

Even on their lowest settings I think they'd spoil each other.

Go by how your room would work with the sub/s you have/would have. If you can accomodate them then, yes, the more the better. Most of the time that is.

Quality over quantity every time.

8. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having 2 REL Strata would not produce a deeper/lower bass than a single Storm right?

Then what is the advantage of having 2 subs then?

9. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then what is the advantage of having 2 subs then?

SPLs!!

(which I fully accept would be utter madness for many (me included) :) )

10. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm... mind explaining what SPLs is all about? Newbie here ;-P

11. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry :)
    SPL (Sound Pressure Level), while technically not being quite the same as volume level, it can, to all intents and purposes, be thought of in that way, at least in this context.

12. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    It's all about distortion.

It's rare that a respectable sub will not be able to go loud enough to satisfy the listener - who the hell listens at 110dB? What does matter is that the louder a sub goes, the higher the distortion tends to get. (To make a loud sound the cone has to vibrate to and fro through a bigger distance, travelling faster in the middle, so it's harder to control precisely).

Using a pair of subs (perhaps vertically stacked) will raise overall volume by up to 6dB (e.g. if both subs are working in such a way as to produce 90dB individually, then together they will produce 96dB). That means that you can generate a 96dB sound with the level of distortion much the same as it would be for a single sub producing a 90dB sound.

But (as previously discussed) it may well be the case that using a single, better quality, sub will lower your distortion figures still farther.

13. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I maybe wrong, but my understanding of the measurement of sound level is this.
    Firstly, it's measured on a logarthmic scale. This means that the volume will double with each increment of 10db.
    A doubling of power (ie 2x identical subs) yeilds a 3db increase and as such is barely distinguishable by the human ear.

However, having said all that.. I infact do use 2 subs, and the reason has nothing to do with power.

1) I find that 2 subs placed either side of the listening position removes the 'lob-sided' feel when listening to music. It just sounds better.
    2) There's no longer a 'hole' in the bass when you move around the listening room.
    3) When AV amps all have a stereo sub output (instead of the common single sub out), you'll sleep much more easily knowing that you can use both of them.

Jules

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think the actaual quote I posted is for the HGS 18:devil: I have actually tried it now as well. :)

I was the original advocate of low distortion subs and two subs here championing both. Several years down the line, the only caveat I would stick on now is be wary if you have a square room! In this case dual subs doesn't generally help but for all other situations I prefer 2.

I would emphasis that I would always take one super sub over dual lesser sub but I recommend dual super subs., ;) I would urge you to get LOW DISTORTION subs what ever you do, whether Paradigm, Velodyn or SVS I don't really care but they DO make a significant difference. 2 years ago no one here even talked about them, now everyone does. Quality bass can make a SIGNIFICANT difference.

15. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

And?:devil: Do you still stand by it?:D

16. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Jules,

You're failing to allow for the effects of constructive interference. If you have two sound sources producing exactly the same signal then the amplitudes add, not the intensities. Double the amplitude, four times the intensity, so +6dB not +3dB.

Assuming, that is, that the listener is the same distance from both speakers. You're right that there could be a corresponding point where there is destructive interference and you don't hear anything. But for that to happen at a frequency of 80Hz you'd have to be sitting in a position where one speaker is two metres closer to your ears than the other one, and that distance increases as the sound frequency gets lower. This is why stacking the subwoofers vertically is a good idea - it make sit more difficult to be much closer to one speaker than the other.

17. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Thanks NicholasB.
    Now I know a bit more.

I'm probably just trying to convince myself I don't need another upgrade!

All this talk actually has me thinking....
    I run the KEF THX system with 2x45B subs - each acting as a stand for the left and right speakers.

Do they need replacing with a real monster?

18. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, a very interesting thread. I have been thinking of getting a second sub with the next upgrade in speakers. I have a strata and agree about its lack of SPL at the bottom end. I'm possibly adding a storm next time for front and LFE duties.

A point that I think has been missed is that the sub in a 5.1 system is producing all the low levels >80hz for all 6 channels. I think thats why my system (& Jules) sounds lop-sided. I think therfore that having 2 or more subs sharing the load either side of the room will even out the sound. I do believe that low levels have directionality. I feel rather than hear where the sound is coming from.
    I'm not a technician, i just go by what I hear, so I may be completely wrong.

19. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The quote I posted was from a journalist in the states who owns Velodynes and Paradigms. The coments were NOT mine :) ;)

20. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    That may very well be the case, but do you agree with the statement or not? (Honestly, it's like trying to get an answer out of a politician :rolleyes:).

21. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Politician, no, Ambassador yes ;)

To be honest I have long since worried about this stuff, it just winds people up and causes all sorts of bad blood here. I am a fan of dual subs and I think the HGS 18 11 is the best single sub I have heard. I am happy to leave it at that.

22. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Everyone,

i have a B&W asw 1000 subwoofer,I am going to buy the new model of B&W the asw 675. Can anyone tell me if this helps or is just a waste of money.Can anyone know if the asw 675 produce more bass than the asw1000 becouse it is alot smaller.

I like powerfull bass