Are TV's any better than 10 years ago?

darrenf

Established Member
Reaction score
The reason I ask this is I have a Sony KV28WS1U, this was one of the first widescreens to come out and cost me £1000 about 8 years ago. I came across what I though was going to be a bargain - the Sony 32NX100U (the one with the blue frame and cost £2300) for £900 but when I checked the picture out it was not as good as my old model. It had a problem at the top not being straight, half way along it dropped down a line, there was also a white line visible just below this.
The picture slopped to one side, when this was rectified and you checked teletext this was then slopped.
How can this be that this was Sony's top model, it cost £2300 and yet I seem to have a better picture with my old TV.
I just wondered what everyone else thought?

Bit like this? :D

TV's have gone alot worse, guess that's why Plasma and LCD have taken off.

At least with CRT Front Projection (and rear Projection) you can adjust geometry and convergence.

Attachments

• wonky.jpg
    wonky.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 185
my parents have a very old (about 10 to 14 years think) toshiba black stripe. it was one of the first tvs to have 'stereo' although it didnt actaully decode its own stereo form an ariel but it could be input along with composite vid.
anyway, its an absolutly stunning composite picture and beats the the socks of a few newer (3-5yrs old) sony, jvc and others even with s video. it build quality is really great
not many tvs are made like that anymore :rolleyes:

I have just replaced my sony kvw2812u which was the first sony widescreen to come out, it originally came with teh eseperate sony amp. I have been very happy with this tv, but recently i bought a kvf24ls35 fo rmy bedroom and was impressed bythe picture.

so i ended up being so impressed that i have replaced my ols sony and must admit that althhough my old set wass a great bit of kit for 7-8 years the new model i have bougyht kv32fx66 is more vivid, richer and less grainy. I think it was worth upgrading. however in terms of quality control and build quiality i think the new sonys suck and i had three before i was happy enough to keep it.

andy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom