Are Tritton AX Pro the best gaming headset?

Diablo_Mabbs

hi iv been looking round for a while now for a TRUE surround sound headset i used to have a trust true 5.1 headset
Trust 5.1 Surround USB Headset 16533: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

but it broke and i got it replaced under warranty and then it broke again out of warranty so now i want something that will last and sounds AMAZING!

so i have been looking at triton as my friend put me on to looking at them

Tritton AX Pro Dolby Digital Precision Gaming Headset Xbox 360 Game - Play.com (UK) - Free Delivery

and i would like to hear and good/bad stories from using them or other good alternatives that are TRUE surround sound

Drubbing

TRUE 5.1 in headphones/sets doesn't exist. It's a marketing gimmick, that makes you pay more for less product. Add in USB to a headset and you can X2 that.

Give decent stereo phones a go. They sound better (with music), are built better, cost less, and game just as well.

Getting good sound separation and placement is about better speakers, not more, and cheaper ones.

Diablo_Mabbs

TRUE 5.1 in headphones/sets doesn't exist. It's a marketing gimmick, that makes you pay more for less product.

i dont understand how one speaker in each ear can place sounds better than 3+ speakers in each ear :|

the old trust headset crapped all over any stereo phones i have ever tried and in fps's i knew exactly where the enemy were.

Drubbing

i dont understand how one speaker in each ear can place sounds better than 3+ speakers in each ear :|

the old trust headset crapped all over any stereo phones i have ever tried and in fps's i knew exactly where the enemy were.

It depends which stereo phones you tried them against. If they were cheap closed backs then that is likely why.

2 good speakers are far better than 3+ cheap ones, which is what goes into every gaming headset. Stereo can provide and deliver better sound and separation, and it's also easier to match good quality speakers when there are less of them.

Here's this, from a friend of mine. Competitive gamers of 20+ years. He now works in the audio industry. There's more in the whole thread, but he hits the main points.

Overclockers Australia Forums - View Single Post - 5.1, whats with the hate?

Diablo_Mabbs

thankyou that link shed light on information that was confusing me before :)

GenesisGod

Standard Member
I own an Axpro and it is honestly the worst $175 I've ever spent. The sound quality is barely average even for a "gaming" headset and it was honestly the most uncomfortable abomination that I ever tried to put on my head. Literally it's like a helmet! If you wear glasses, definitely forget about it because this thing is like a vice on your head.

But in all seriousness, it sounded horrible. If you want a headset with multiple speakers, then by far your best option is a Turtle Beach HPA2. Watch this video, trust me:
YouTube - Turtle Beach HPA2 vs Tritton AX 51 Pro - 5.1 Surround Headsets- FOR PC!

As for this comment...

You should really read up on "Dolby Headphone" and "HRTF processing". In short, a single speaker in each ear is more precise than a headset with four speakers in each ear. Why? Because Dolby Headphone does the same thing that your brain does--and you only have two ears, right?

The reason why you think your old multiple-speaker headset performed better than a stereo headset/headphones could have been based on a few reasons. First off, was the stereo one a QUALITY brand? Also, regardless of what you were using, the surround sound headset was still "surround sound"! Of course you were going to hear audio cues with better positioning. The stereo headset was only giving you left and right.

To improve your experience, you should look into a higher quality 5.1 multi-speaker headset like the HPA2 or switch to Dolby Headphone and get a nice set of quality cans.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom