1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Tosh's noisy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Pete Callan, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've narrowed my choice of DVD player down to either the Tosh 220 or the 510 (although I must admit I've made my "final" decision on which DVD I want a number of times!)

The only problem is that I've read they have noisy drives. Now I'm not bothered about loading and unloading noises, but about the noise as the film is actually playing. I've heard it can be obtrusive when watching quieter scenes, particularly the 220.

I have a bit of a bugbear about this, because I previously took back my VCR Sony 820 because of the loud noise it made so it will be the first thing I'll notice if it is at all noisy. Also my equipment is not in a glass cabinet or anything, so I can't hide the sound!

I've read on this forum that the noise may be due to mods, however I've read about these noises in German magazine reviews, and these machines were definitely not modded!

I would buy the 220 tomorrow if it wasn't for this, as it is, I''ll probably pay the extra for the 510 as its not meant to be as noisy.

Please can anyone help me on this point.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    Hi

My Tosh 210 was a little noisy but not enough to actually bother me but I was sitting about 8 ft away from it. My other Tosh (900) is silent. I suppose it depends how sensitive you are to it, if you think its noisy then you´ll be listening out for it all the time!!

3. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I previously had a Tosh 2109 and also now own a 510. They do clunk and whirr when ejecting but I have had no problems with any audible background noise, even in the quietest of movie sequences.
    The 510 is a cracker - and only £250 multiregion! Just buy your player and enjoy!

dr_mabuse

4. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not after the 210 but the 220! Also, if its noisy, its noisy, whether I'm listening out for it or not!

5. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Forgot to mention the ongoing thread regarding 220E problems - check it out.

dr_mabuse

6. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that the firmware issue? I'd understood Toshiba were upgrading the firmware from 1.3 to 1.4 to resolve that.

Can I also ask if you think the 510 has a better picture that the 220 (or the model you previously had, if it was similar spec as the 220) as I'd thought that the 220 had a better picture than the 510 (although the 510 had better sound quality). Or does the 510 also have as good a picture?

7. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I previously had the predecessor to both the 210 and 220, the 2109. I had it modded by Techtronics and loved it - the picture was fantastic.
    I bought the 510 primarily because it was a bargain, and I had got bored with the 2109's CDR problems, and the T1C1 hack to enable RCE was annoying, and it wouldn't support MP3. I don't make use of the Prog scan output and have only demoed the DVD-A part with 1 disc lent to me.
    In my opinion the 510 has a better depth of colour than the 2109, and is better on edges. Certainly on Gladiator the difference was noticeable, and it seemed to me to wring a little more separation from the DTS soundtrack. SW1-TPM looked better throughout, on the 2109 all the CGI edges could occasionally seem a little jagged. I believe that the 510 has a 10bit 54Mhz Video DAC, and the 2109 had 27Mhz, according to the Toshiba blurb this would indeed improve edge resolution and overall colour depth. It certainly seemed better to me on all the battle sequences, where there are so many moving objects in both foreground and background.
    If you are able to use the component outs then the margin would probably increase, but I don't have a component TV.

sorry to waffle:D

hope this helps

dr_mabuse

8. liam_b

liam_b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I own both a Toshiba SD9000 and SD900, both have been very solid players and not noisy. Occasionally I hear the SD900 spin a disc up to speed when it is first inserted, a short whiring, thats all. After that there is nothing to hear from either. During a film everything is quiet.

In the US people have reported 'odd' noise problems on the SD9200, which the non PAL version of the SD900, I believe that the SD9200 was launched first in Japan+USA about 8 months before the SD900 came along, so that problem is not likely to recur in EU.

9. Calum Lawson

Calum Lawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 220 and have never noticed any noise during playback other than the initial spin-up and spin-down at the begining and end of films (even then, I wouldn't describe this as particularly loud)

My player is situated in an open TV cabinet about 10-12 feet away.

I have been more than happy with the player (I now have the 1.4 firmware, which fixes the Matrix problem) and can recommend it to you.

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Pete Callan,
    My Toshiba SD2109 was a terrific player but yes it was noisy. Whirry, clanky, buzz, buzz, grinding type noise.
    The 210/220/510 are the same, the lightweight design cannot hide the noise.
    The SD900/910/9500 are nearly silent.

11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 210 and a 510 and they are a little nosier when inserting and spinning up a disc than my previous Panny A360 was.

Once playing though I can't hear the 510 at all. I sit around 10ft away from it.

12. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I have a 2yr old Pioneer 545. Would I notice an improvement with the Tosh 510. I use mine through a Sony projector