1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are tosh tv's known for poor scart connections?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Markster, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I think i have made a terrible mistake

I had the toshiba36zp18 and tosh210 dvd connected via component and the picture quality was obsolutely amazing.

I have changed my dvd player to the new pioneer444 instead which is a great looking player and has also had great reviews.
    The problem is however it doesnt have component out so i am connecting the dvd player to Scart 3 on the tosh36zp18.

The picture quality although ok is no where near as good as the component connection I had previously.
    I am using a good quality sheilded etc ofc scart cable so that isnt the problem.

I spoke with a retailer yesterday who tells me that Toshiba tv's are very poor for scart connections, is this true?.

I am currently very disapponted, is everyone else connecting
    dvd up with scart 3?

2. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have mine via component, but picture looks the same when using scart one RGB.

Shame the S- video is on the front of the TV as this also gives a good picture.

Keith

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know about the Tosh but on my JVC only scart 1 is RGB enabled and the difference in quality between RGB and Component is marginal so are you sure that you are using an RGB scart input on the TV.

I presume that you had a good reason for changing the Tosh DVD to a Pioneer as they appear to be of similar quality but the Tosh gains when connected to a Tosh TV.

Ian

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Markster

It is not the TV it is the player. My mates 444 looks okay via RGB into the same TV. Another player that has RGB and component looks about the same on the interfaces. The 210 and 9000 I have here look sublime via component, (until we get the Tag out). It is the 444 that is at fault, great looking player but not a candle to the 210 I'm afraid, especially with those component outputs.

Is the 444 quieter for you?

5. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

The reason i changed from the tosh to the pioneer (as nic knows) is because of the drive noise the tosh210 appeared to have.
    Because my tosh tv has an open stand with the tosh210 player i found I could hear the dvd drive whirling away whilst watching quieter parts of films, which was very offputting.

I then swapped to the pionner444 as this appeared to be an equally great player from the reviews i had seen, and it has no drive noise ;-)

Obviously however the most important consideration is picture quality and the difference between the tosh210 (component) and Pioneer444 (scart) is most definately noticeable on my Tosh36zp18 TV.

As the pioneer and the tosh seem to be the ones everyone is choosing over at the moment hopefully my bad decision will be of help to others

:-(

6. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He is partially correct.

The older Toshiba models, such as the 32MW7DB, were known to suffer problems with RGB in some circumstances. There is a fair bit mentioned on the uk.media.home-cinema newsgroup over the last 2 years about this (check google if you want).

The ZP18P models do not suffer this problem. RGB should be no different from the component in quality. Make sure you have it in the RGB scart (scart 1) and make sure the dvd player is outputting RGB.

Scart 2 and 3 are s-video enabled so no need to have the front socket in use.