1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are THX speakers as good as "normal" speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by garrad, Dec 12, 2002.

1. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the major difference between THX speakers and non THX speakers. I know that THX is a standard that speakers must comply too to get a certificate. But why are other speakers which look as if they are higher quality not have a THX cert?

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, this is an oversimplification, so don't treat it as the whole story.

THX speakers are designed to reproduce in the home the exact kind of sound and soundstage you find in a THX Cinema. They used to have strict controls on the dispersion pattern at high frequencies, and they must conform to strict frequency response requirements.

As to why there are very good speakers out there that look like they could be THX approved, this is generally because THX approval is something the manufacturer has to pay for, and even then there is no guarrantee that the product will be approved. The situation is starting to change though, as Uncle Eric (who is a Velodyne owner/dealer) has recently been vindicated in his opinion on their high end subwoofers because they now have THX approval.

3. garrad

garrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this THX stuff is a pain in the ass. I want a great home theater sound system. I want to go for full THX Ultra spec equipment, but there are some speakers out ther much better, but I personally want the THX cert on all my stuff.

Well whats the difference between a THX cert speaker set at £2000 and a set at £6000+?

4. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    Very simply, the THX specification creates a known minimum level of performance in your living room. THX-mastered media will thus reliably produce a minimum good quality of 'sound' in your living room. The aim is to, loosely, reproduce what you would hear in a good theatre. Because the acoustic enviroment in a typical living room is so very different to a cinema's its necessary to mitigate that difference and that's the bulk of what the THX spec for speakers does. Thus directivity for speakers is closely controlled to minimise vertical dispersion and therefore reduce floor and ceiling reflections, and speakers and subs are supposed to meet minimum spls for a given distortion limit. THX processors correct for the different frequency response inroom (cinema mixes are EQ'd with a significant treble boost to compensate for the high volume/size of a theatre) and control how the sound is preceived as it moves around you.

My personal opinion is that THX sets a minimum standard of 'reference' performance (that is, known consistant performance, NOT state-of-the-art performance) and that it is not necessary to go that route. Factors such as room size and layout, neighbours and your own listening preferences all affect what you want to achieve. Most half decent hifi is more than capable for THX performance bar the factor of attaining sufficiently high SPLs. I think that unless you want to achieve these high SPLs then THX-rated speakers aren't necessary as a minimum guarantee. In the end, that's what THX is, a guarantee.

As an (extreme!) example, note that Skywalker studios use Chord amplification for film mixes yet Chord have never bothered to get THX rating. They don't need to.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    There are some speaker manufacturers who have stated that their speakers deliberately do not meet the THX Ultra specification because if they did it would compromise the ability of the spakers to play music. It is up to you whether or not you believe this.

6. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    i was looking at the m&k s150s earlier this year and they are fantstic thx speakers, if a little too harsh for my likes with music. in the end i settled for the s125 with ss150 rears as tis was a good compromise, albeit a non-thx version. it shouldn't matter wether it has a thx badge on it or not, but if it does to you then readURL=http://www.thx.com/consumer_products/home_programs.html]HERE[/URL] for more info!

7. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is pretty simple. For most home cinemas it will be enough, for most stereos not. Be sure to match amp and speakers good, it is more important than some label.
    Speaking in general of course.