1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are they worth the hassle?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by urbanlegend, Feb 18, 2005.

1. urbanlegend

urbanlegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i had a hitachi 5200 about a month ago now and its all been nothing but hassle.bought all the best quality connections read all the tips,settings etc.picture quality was so poor.the plasma looked great when it was switched off...lol.anyway ive sent it back now got my money back and have bought a tosh crt for £600 and am so pleased with the picture.i was really looking forward to the plasma thinking that when im spending 2 grand(2 and a half grand with cables,stand) the picture quality would be so much better than my crt but sadly no.i suppose reading all the threads i should of been a little concerned but i thought people were just being ultra fussy.it makes me wonder how many of you guys out there are just trying to put on a brave face now youve coughed up the money for a plasma.ive read so many posts by people saying"well im happy with the picture quality most of the time" and"youve got to expect a poor picture from sky" and "you always notice problems more on big screens".it just seems that there can be so many problems with these plasmas like lip sync,black shades,grainy screens,buzzing,screen burn,life span,banding,blurring the list goes on.should you really have to fiddle with setting for days on end to get a half decent picture?i just plugged the tosh crt in with my old cheapest scart connections and the pictures superb.okay its big at the back like all crts but ill wait a few years when hopefully theve got it all worked out with lcd,plasma technology.im not having a go at anyone but myself really for jumping in and you guys on this forum have been nothing but helpful,but it just makes me wonder how many people are 100% happy.

2. one jack walker

one jack walker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You stole my thunder. Exactly what I was going to come on and say. Admittedly, I bought cheap and kept fingers crossed, but even though mine is now going back I'm reluctant to even go down the frequently recommended Panny route, as some people even have issues with them, especially with SKY, and in particular SKY sports. I really don't want to go back to CRT, they are big horrible bits of kit, but neither do I want to spend forever on forums, trying to find something that everybody recommends, and I can purchase at a decent price, with the confidence that I'm going to be able to plug it in and go WOW, without having to buy all sorts of converters, expensive cables, and the like

3. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am !!

50" Panny, replaced my 32" Sony Wega crt, never looked back. I AM fussy, and the picture quality is superb, especially HD. Also great for the internet, iTunes - whole music library accessed through the plasma.

SKY+ is the weakest on some channels, but then it wasn't great on the Sony either. Lip sync solved through the audio delay on my Denon 3805, further picture improvement possible through a scaler.

I think that plasmas do have their downfalls, and the quality does vary hugely. Not going to get into the 'mine is better than yours' debate but one of the better rated panels and decent kit provides a quality picture IMO. Friends jaws drop when they walk in!!

Of course the debate over crt is somewhat futile, to my knowledge, they dont make a high def, 50" crt.......

4. bluevortex

bluevortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Im well happy with my PW7. I have been down the same route as you with all the top cables etc not cheap. However, im delighted with the quality of my plasma. To be honest its better than i'd expected. I'd never want to go back to CRT. Im a big fan of films so the 42" with Cinema system is a huge welcome into my home. You just cant beat it for this purpose.
    I think the thing is when spending so much on these screens, you naturally look for every flaw in picture and if your not happy with something its made worse by knowing how much you'd spent on buying it. When all said and done its down to what makes you happy. If your not happy with it then your probably better off with the CRT.
    You could spend all your days waiting for improved technology, there will always be something better on its way. Ive waited for a few years before getting a plasma and am happy that PQ vs £ has finally caught up - for me anyway

No way would i go back to CRT. . . thats for sure :)

5. urbanlegend

urbanlegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i beat ya to it!its good to see someone else with the same views.when you said you bought cheap i bet you could get a brilliant quality crt for the price.people say that if you look for flaws your gonna find them and not to sit too close but when you switch it on and think is that what all the fuss is about its very dissapointing.whats the point of having a big screen and having to sit so far away from it???? :suicide: its still a new technology and even sony have stopped making plasmas so i think its worth waiting for a while yet.it was so nice to get my new crt and just err well plug it in!!i thought technology was meant to make things easier?????hehehehehe

6. Brooktop

Brooktop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    And me...just upgraded from a 32" Sony Wega 100Hz CRT that had an excellent picture. Gone for a PW6 - just using a £25 Keane component>VGA cable from the Panny E55 DVDR and couldn't be happier. I was afraid of non-blacks, blurring etc but haven't noticed any. It's pure common sense that a big screen will amplify problems/weaknesses and I do notice this with my analogue cable. I have a good aerial signal, but was impressed to get a FV box last night and the pic is even better! Even my g/f who couldn't give a hoot about these things said..."it looks more 3D!"

I suppose decent-ish cables with an excellent signal/source are going to give better results than an average signal/source with the world's most expensive cables! It certainly helps to sit back from the screen though. Ten foot is recommended for a 42" plasma.

I certainly wouldn't go back! I'm going to a mates tomorrow to watch a movie on his 28" widescreen CRT...think I'll take some binoculars :rotfl:

7. darktherapy

darktherapy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. Went for a PW7, and I'm extremely happy with it. Even Sky's football coverage looks pretty good (much better than the pub plasmas). So much better than my Sony 32"..... I have sooo much extra space in my front room!

I will never go back to CRT.

8. adymartin

adymartin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same here, now my pw7 is on the wall, it's like having asn extra room in our house!!
    we've put a dining table where all our old av equipment had to go. no more eating off our knees every night!!
    the picture is top notch,and movies are fantastic. thats coming from someone who has a home cinema in his basement which is seeing less and less use now.

(mmmm, maybe i'll put the dining table in the basement and put a jaccuzzi in the front room!! ;) )

9. hao

hao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No brave face for me, if I was offered the 2k back that I paid for my 37" Viera I would keep the screen. First class PQ no problems to mention and am useing mid range connecters (£16-£25 bracket).

10. Macleanrd

Macleanrd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I bought a Pw6..........very concerned about pic quality......The plasma is fantastic.......amazing .....evryone who has seen it has been blown away with the quality of picture it produces.

11. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    There was no greater sceptic than me regarding plasma screens.

For the last couple of years a mate has said that I would be surprised how good a decent plasma screen could be. My thoughts were that in no way would the PQ on an plasma be any where near as good as on my Sony Wega 36". My mate was right and I was wrong! I still have the Sony in the dining room, so it's not a case of simply getting use to the plasma and forgetting how good the CRT was.

No big deal setting it up either. A £20 lead from DVD player to the screen, a few adjustments and a great picture. I was also concerned about what the PQ with sky would be like after reading comments on this Forum. I can honestly say that some sky broadcasts are better than some DVD's. If I have a poor sky image on the plasma, then it's poor on the CRT.

As for sitting along way from it; it is a 55" screen and we sit around 8 - 9 feet away. Friends comment that they wouldn't have thought it possible to sit so close to the screen and get such a great image.

Buying a plasma screen did have its problems though. It took four screens before I ended up with a screen without defects but it was well worth the wait. Of course, at any time I could of insisted on getting all of my money back so it certainly isn't a case of " oh well, you've got to say it's good now you've paid for it"!

All in all, I'm a very happy plasma owner still with an excellent CRT (which now looks quite small) to compare against and I would recommend a decent plasma screen in preference to a smaller CRT to anyone.

Steve.

12. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have 37" viera and couldnt be happier with it. It was certainlyu just plug it in and switch on. Tuned it self and all was well.
    The PQ is alot better than my 4 year old 28" JVC widescreen CRT, DVDs look astounding and sky is alot better on some channels, football is better, some old programs like on UK gold can look grainy but most new programs look good.
    Sky movies was on other day when I walked into room and I did think it was a DVD.

I think maybe you have had a bad experience with the plasma you had, it happens I would imagine somebody somewhere has had a rough time with same CRT as you have now. On most parts most people are plug and play, the fussy ones want the screen top best quality achievable with the panle they have, Not that I blame them after spending a couple of grand you want the best it is possible to get.

13. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well i had my fingers burn with a thomson plasma ,after that went back i almost bought a crt or rear projection ,untill i found the panasonic viera .
    100 % happy since ive had it ,cant fault it in any way .

buy a panny and buy safe,if it was a car it would be a vw vr6.. :thumbsup:

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Totally happy with my Panasonic, I had a PW6, wanted a replacement for higher res ready for HD Sky and tried the Pioneer (didn't like it with TV at all) and ended up buying an NEC, again was not for me, so I sold it and replaced it with a Panny HD6.

The image is stunning. Sky can look like DVD alot of the time and with Hi-Def stuff it rocks. No offence but no wonder you didn't like the Hitachi, the thing looks so proceeesed it is untrue. If you have the room for a CRT and can live with the smaller picture they still give stunning images, but if you want a bigger screen then I don't think you can beat panasonic plasmas for a combination of image and usability.

15. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I bought the hitachi 32pd5200 for exactly the same price i paid for a toshiba 32 100hz crt five years ago and the picture quality in the hitachi is brilliant,i was expecting it to be a little worse or maybe on par with the crt at best but it totally blows it away.

At the time the tosh was a five star telly with the best pq at the time for a crt tv.

16. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    When I was looking to replace my ageing Panasonic TX-24T1, 24" CRT many years old, I was an avid plasma phobe. I was certain that my replacement was going to be a 36" CRT at the time either the Panny TX-36PD30 or the Sony KV-36HQ100 but my heart sank when viewing the picture of both these sets as there was so much digital jiggery pokery going on with the picture that the result looked very false/simulated, peoples faces looked really weird especially on the Sony. I guess I was just used to my old analogue 50Hz set where the images produced did not have that 'processed' look about them that the two 36" monsters did. :confused:

Then I clapped eyes on the Viera and I was hooked from day 1. :smashin: I've had my 37" Viera since July of last year and I am 110% pleased with the picture quality and I use ntl cable. I agree with hao above, if someone were to offer me the cash back that I paid for the TV, I'd refuse the money and keep the telly. :thumbsup:

Yes plasmas have certain picture limitations but then so does every other display technology including CRT.

S.

17. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can't fault the picture on my 42pd5200, it is fantastic.
    Some SKY programs do look dodgy (notably Eastenders) but that is the source.
    Playing about with settings (Duncan Wardles latest on the Hitachi thread improved mine AGAIN) helps, and I can't see how I can get much better to be honest. We sit approx 6-8 feet away from the screen and that is very comfortable for PQ