Are they both the same?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Skiny, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Skiny

Skiny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would there be any difference between a VGA and a DVI cable, when connecting a PC to a plasma screen? I know the DVI cable will give a slightly sharper, and more stable image when connected to and LCD, but is the same true for plasma?

Thanks

Skiny

2. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding of VGA v DVI (cables) is that the signal squirted down a VGA cable is purely analogue whereas the signal squirted down a DVI cable can be analogue *OR* digital - in the latter case then there should be no tuning of display timings needed to ensure a sharp image (whereas from a VGA feed your display needs to be "tuned" - usually automatically - to the exact pixel timings of your graphics card).

Since both plasma and LCD screens are discrete pixel based devices then both should benefit from a DVI-D feed over a DVI-A or VGA feed but whether you'd notice the difference is another matter.

Phil

3. Skiny

Skiny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks.

4. zygote

zygote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The picture quality through DVI is infinately better than VGA for computer signals. Before I returned my El Cheapo plasma (awaiting delivery of a PWD6) I had my PC fed into both VGA and DVI and the VGA signal was noticably more noisy and had a greater tendancy to bleed, whereas the picture through DVI was absolutely pin sharp and solid.

HTH