1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are These Worlds Best Projectors?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Suave, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hi Everyone..

Apparently the best Projector that money can buy according to what I've read (but hey, I'm just another dreamer that cant afford what I look at!) Just surfing the net and came across some american professionals & users who swore this thing was better than the coming of the second messiah! Apparently Jerry Bruckheimer uses it as his reference model as do alot of pro companies! Check it out and see what you think!

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/pro/dila/projectors_dla_qx1g.html

The nest model down is this one:

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/pro/dila/projectors_dla_m5000sc.htm

And these are apparently the best home projectors that money can buy:

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/press/2004/dla-hd2k.html

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/pro/dila/dla-hx1/index.html

No, I dont work for JVC but would want to buy something outraegeous like this if I win the lotto - hey, theres nothing stopping you guys though! Are these things as good as the seem? They certainly seem very impressive - just look at them specs and resolutions! Anyone have any of these or seen them?

Suave!

2. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    From a fellow dreamer....

Haven't seen much about the professional projectors, but those JVC domestic projectors haven't had universally glowing reviews elsewhere. Interestingly I remember reading in AVTech (supplement to HiFi News) that JVC projectors aren't made by their consumer electronics division but are part of their military arm! The D-ILA technology was developed for use in flight simulators.

From what I've read, the current hounds wotsits for domestic projection are the Sony Qualia 004 (Sony's LCoS technology, 1920x1080 res, Xenon lamp) or one of the three chip DLP machines (Sim2, Optoma, Marantz and others have them) think upwards of £20k. Theres a review of the Qualia on Cine4home (If you don't speak German, you'll have to use Babelfish)

Slight tangent, but what's the difference between 1080/24sF and 1080/24p ?

3. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Ahhh, but does it have holes in the bottom you so can blow the dust of the bottom, and settings to get rid of vertical banding :)

It's a shame the consumer has to put up with such pap when stuff like this can be made :(

Still, if they can make this, then we can hope they can then make US something better.
    I don't see why the actual panels themselves would be THAT much more expensive in real terms to physically make though.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The JVC D-ILA QX1G has a RRP of $225,000................... dream territory indeed.... :eek:

S.

5. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Nah, if you can afford this, you just buy a new one if it gets a dust blob. ;)

Interestingly, I think Sony have a "professional" LCoS projector which matches the performance of the Qualia but actually sells for less as it is not being marketed as a luxury consumer product

6. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Why don't we all throw in a £100 to the pot and club together and buy one.
    We can then, all borrow it when we need it.

Easy eh :)

7. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    We need an avform member to make a forum cinema in a room big enough to stick the pj in and get a big screen. :D

8. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    Tell you what.

I'll offer free of charge the use of my back garden to host the building of the cinema room to store the projector and seating for others to use.

I'm generous like that.

Other forum members will be able to use the room once constructed (from pooled funds) at any time.

As long as they don't sit in my central reclining leather arm chair, with beer cooler in the arm rests and in built porta loo facility :)

Seems only fair I should get the best viewing position as it's gonna be in my garden.

9. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I dunno mate, I'd need it alot. In fact I'd look like Malcolm MacDowell in Clockwork Ornage with me eyelids forced open. And I'd probably make myself watch anything :)

Mike.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i have seen a consumer D-ILA but spoken to people who have seen the 4000x3000 res FLight sim unit................. which is incredible
    I do like LCoS technology and its a pity there is not more of it about....

11. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    But how do these stack up against a CRT projector. I bet you could spend 3-5 grand on a CRT and it would deliver the same level of performance or even better in terms of contrast performance.

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Well I've seen it....In fact we were offered one for Event2 but I couldn't find a suitable venue to stick it in. Perhaps Event3.....

It was on a 20ft or so wide cinema screen playing back HD material. It looked lovely. You couldn't do that with a CRT. However stick it on a 9ft wide or under and the crt would have it for dinner.....

If you are going to build a theatre for 50 of your closest friends then stick it on the to see list. If it's a cinema for 5 then forget it.

Gordon

13. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hey Dr Mike!!

What are you an ex KGB Agent? You really seem to know your stuff so from now on, Im gonna bow to your judgement as everytime I think I've found something super out there - well, you bring me back to earth! (Ahh, well! I guess I'm just a sucker for hype!!) If & when I do ever get to afford such decadence, Dr Mike, You are going to be my main man when it comes to being in the know!! Anyhows, heres some of the reviews that I read on the A) DLA-QX1G ($225,000!) I did not realise it was meant for professional cinema applications so I guess to them fat hollywood execs, it is just lunch money!! and B) some reviews on the (£16,000) home DLA-HD2K: (hey, it's cheaper than the Sony Qualia!)

A)

http://www.era-tv.com/eraline/getnews.asp?SID=708

http://www.emedialive.com/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?CategoryID=45&ArticleID=5003

B)

http://www.projectorreviews.com.cnchost.com/review.asp?reid=21&page=1

(Very indepth review!)

http://www.hifi-writer.com/blog/20031009.htm#20031011-1732

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2004/1018/084_print.html

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/reviews/20040530/he2004_show_report.html?page=3

http://www.cnet.com.au/hometheatre/projectors/0,39026002,40000311,00.htm

Anymore and you can find them yourself!! In, the meantime, Dr Mike, I swear I'm gonna find something that will impress you!

Suave!

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    1080P24 is 1080 line progressive images recorded 24 times a second. It's what HD Film cams probably capture. It's then tele-cine'd to video resolutions just like flms 24 frames a second would be.

1080sf24 is terminology for 1080SEGMENTED FRAMES played back at 24 Hz. That is to say that the 24 progressive frames are split (segmented) in to 48 half resolution fields. It's sort of like 1080i48Hz.

The Sony LCOS/SXRD unit for digital cinema is a beast.....Ugly as sin in comparison to the Qualia(also higher res and more money I'm sure)......but then again a QX1 isn't going to win any awards for aesthetics!

Gordon

15. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry, not at liberty to comment about that ;)

Thinking back, it was the DLA-HX1 which got some mixed reviews. The DLA-HD2K looks the business though!

I'm no expert on these things though, I just like to read alot.

Although this is a 'If I won the lottery thread', I think that what is 'state of the art' performance will be 'entry level' in two years. By end 2006 I think you'll be able to get a 1920x1080 resolution PJ with good (>2000:1) contrast, good brightness and no or minimal artifacts (VB, SDE, rainbows etc)...... all for under £1500 :)

Just my theory anyway!