are these tvs for under $500 worth it to repair or worth it to get an extended warranty for in-house repairs?

gameguru1360

Standard Member
bought a 60" hisense 4k tv only a year and a half ago and it keeps restarting by itself. Found out by accessing the service menu that originally it was in standby mode so I put it in powered on mode; still didn't make any difference. So I found a local tv repair shop that will look at it for $95 which also includes them sending 2 guys to pick it up and bring it to their shop since I don't have access to a car or truck.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to repair this tv which was originally around $530, on sale for $480. Is it worth it to repair or should I wait until black friday and find a tv that is cheaper?

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
Welcome to the forums.

I guess you’ve tried doing a factory reset and that you have the latest updates?

Is it worth getting them to look at it and seeing how much it is to repair. Then compare against buying a new set ?

It boils down to your finances and which is most cost effective. :)

gameguru1360

Standard Member
yep, I will have to see how much it will cost to repair vs getting a new one. If I get a new one from a store like Best Buy, I might consider getting their geek squad coverage so if it does need repair, they can do in-house repairs at no cost. They have a 2 year and 5 year and the 5 year may be a stretch because at that length, it's always cheaper to buy new. I always thought I would go for an extended warranty if the tv cost about $2k

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
Do your warranties work the same as ours? ie it’s only an extra year or 4 years of cover with the first year being the manufacturers guarantee? :)

gameguru1360

Standard Member
extended warranties cover everything the mfg's warranty doesn't. The mfg warranty only covers mfg defects but also repairs but takes longer. Some stores that offer extended warranties send out a repair person to replace parts so that you're not waiting weeks or months for a part to come in or if you send in the repair to the mfg

gameguru1360

Standard Member
I'm having a tv repairman pick up the tv and see what needs to be replaced. If it's going to be more than $200, then I'll just wait until black friday and maybe even get the store's extended warranty just so that if it happens again with a different branded tv, at least I can get it repaired sooner than sending it into the mfg

gameguru1360

Standard Member
the tv repairman said it's not worth fixing since the issue looks like it's not the mainboard but the LED strips that produce the back lighting. He said to replace those for my tv, it'll cost somewhere around $400 or so. So he said it's just cheaper to get a $400-500 tv. He would recommend changing the LED strips if it were a $2-3k tv because that's only about 1/4 of the entire cost. Good thing he didn't order the mainboard in advance

gameguru1360

Standard Member
yes going with the mainstream: samsung, sony or LG. I want to keep it 60" or under...55 or 60". 65" would be too big but don't want to go smaller than 55" and will probably get an extended warranty that covers in-home repairs

Chillie6

Distinguished Member
I went for the Sony XF9005F (might have a different designation in the states) but at 49in size, can’t fit anything bigger in my lounge. Good hunting :thumbsup:

Top Bottom