1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are these Philips TV's basically the same?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by onzey, Sep 14, 2003.

1. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been considering the Philips 28PW6517 but see that the 28PW6506 and the 28PW6006 are very similar in general terms and the 6006 particularly is now quite cheap. If I am not bothered about sound would the 6006 perform pretty much like the 6517?

Also can someone confirm that the 6006 does have a side S-video socket. A leaflet on the Philips site says yes but the What Video review specifically says no. This may be useful for camcorder use.

I'm wondering if I might be able to afford the 32PW6006 by considering this older model.

Thanks for any assistance

onzey

2. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would info you require be in the Philips sales brochure/catalogue because I`ve got one coming in the post.
    Also in the interim why not e-mail Philips direct?

3. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply ibrox.

I have looked at downloaded leaflets on the 6006 and 6517 so far but really wanted some owners opinions. If the leaflets are correct (and the 6006 says there's a side s-video socket which is denied in one thread I have found) then I know, for instance, the 28PW6006 has a Black Line FX tube ands the 32PW6006 has a Black Line S tube and the 28/32PW6517 has a Real Flat Black Line S tube but does it mean in practice the pictures are all fairly similar?

Research continues.

onzey

4. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The pics are similar on the severall Philips I've owned.

The 6006 has more probs than the 6506,which has none really and the 6506 has no S-Video socket on the side,just Video,which is fine.

Do a search on here before you decide.

The flatscreens are currently the best ones at the mo,imo.

5. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    IIRC the 32PW6006 has side S-video, but the 24 & 28PW6006 do not.

Thr 6506 is a flat screen, the 6006 is a kind of semi-flatscreen but has some curvature still.

I have a 6006, a friend of mine has a 6506. They're both damn fine TVs for the price (in fact better than lots of TVs that cost a lot more).

Cheers
    John

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    My 28pw6006 has a superb picture, but as mentioned above NO S video connection.

7. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope my Philips 6517 when it comes has as good a picture as the models outlined in this thread.(anyone got one of these?)
    Also hope Onzey you get what you want.!!

8. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Not quite sure what to do now. I think a 32PW6006 is probably still outside my budget ( can't find anything to confirm about s-video socket) so I shall watch prices on the 28" models for a bit and perhaps try and get JL to price match someone. Strangely, I am sure I have seen some sites where the 6506 is priced higher than the newer 6517.

onzey

9. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How much have you got to spend and what do you need the S-Video socket for?

10. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    When are you getting yours?

11. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Wayne

I was hoping to stay at or under £400.
    The reason for the s-video socket was for camcorder use but I am not sure there is any real difference to be seen between s-video and composite with a camcorder so not that important I suppose. As long as there are some side A/V sockets it makes life easier.

I have just been comparing Philips downloadable leaflets on the 32PW6006 and 32PW6517 and they are very similar except 6517 is Real Flat screen and has "Black stretch" and more powerful sound (and Dolby Virtual). I just wonder if the 6006 will ever get down towards £400? It seems to be about £500+ with stand, delivery and VAT at one or two places

onzey

12. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are Philips TVs with Crystal Clear 3 OK?

onzey

13. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to steal a little bit of your thread Onzey.
    Re Wayne`s query re-Philips 32" 6517 the answer is I`m supposed to get a phone call today(Tues) or Wed from the courier with a delivery date.
    VCR due to be delivered today and now got everything else .
    (Cables,All in one,Speaker Stands).

14. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Not in my opinion.The pic is quite a bit softer and the sets are dearer.

You won't get a 32in Philips for £400 I'm afraid and go for the flatscreen one if you can,as they are better.

15. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Wayne. It was just that I'd seen a couple of clearance sets advertised recently around the £400 mark one of which was a 32" (a 6515, with no stand or manual, now sold) and also a 28PW6526. Both sets have Crystal Clear 3 but I wasn't sure how it affected picture. (I think both had s-video socket too!).

So, looks like a 28PW6517 would be the best bet for me for quality of picture and budget.

onzey

16. jaycee900

jaycee900
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    We just had a philips 3608 delivered last week... having it picked up as soon as poss, it's ****e! Picture is superb from about 8ft away but eyes and mouths are sooo blurry, even after fiddling with the pixel plus stuff... will never buy another philips, and ordered a sony today... ahhhh

17. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, Pixel Plus does seem a matter of personal taste.

I wouldn't tar 50Hz Philips sets (6006, 6506, 6515 etc) with the same brush though. I've found them all, without exception, pretty damn superb.

I guess the higher-end 100Hz/Pixel Plus ones aren't as good though.

18. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi;Just received the Philips brochure and it appears 6517 has crystal clear 111 which from the brochure appears to be Scavem and dynamic contrast.?

Anyway if somebody wants to have a look and live near Glasgow give us a shout.
    The VCR was delivered so I am only waiting on the TV to be delivered + will arrange for equipment to be set up.
    Have a panasonic VCR NV-60EHB + Sony Dav S 550 all in one(Multi region)

19. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Scavem (scan velocity modulation) is the only thing to beware of. It can make the picture worse in certain circumstances . But even then, probably not to noticeable levels...

20. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the downloadable leaflet for the 6517 it only mentions Scavem. There is no actual mention of Crystal Clear 3 which I think consists of Scavem, comb filter and dynamic contrast although I seem to remember another thread which cast doubt on the comb filter being included.
    Can any of these features, where present, be turned off or are they always active? If they could be turned off I might start hunting for another clearance 6515 model.

onzey

21. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The 6517 has SCAVEM only of the Crystal Clear III features.

You cannot turn them off,they are built into the design.

Crystal Clear III is not rubbish,it has it's advantages,it's just not better than a bog standard Philips 50Hz set imo.

By all means hunt down a 6515,you'll still be impressed.

See here > http://www.consumer.philips.com/glo...ESCREEN_TV_CA&subCatId=29_32_WIDESCREEN_TV_SU

22. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'd agree with Wayne. I've a friend with a 32PW6515 and it produces a lovely picture.

23. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about the 6515 if as Wayne said earlier "The pic is quite a bit softer". Thanks for everyone's interest by the way.

onzey

24. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think I was a bit hasty with that comment when comparing it to my 6506,so don't take it literally.

It has an excellent sharp detailed pic,with great colours.

Don't get put off by what I say.

25. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed the 32PW6515 is very big! Just checked measurements against 32PW6517 (using Philips leaflets)

6515 : 917 x 675 x 691 mm (W x H x D)

6517 : 847 x 549 x 539 mm (W x H x D)

Anyone know if these are accurate?

onzey

26. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    No way is that right,as they use the same chassis.

My 6515 was the same size as my current 6506.

The 6517 has similar dimensions to mine as well.

27. Momo

Momo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its obviously difficult to see a 6506 side by side with a 6517.
    I was about to buy a 6506 a few months back after waiting to see one side by side with a Pana PS1.The 6506 won the day (the 16:9 stretch mode on the Pana is odd) but then suddenly they started being harder to obtain.
    After a little digging it became clear the 6506 was about to be discontinued and only now does it seem that it is the 6517 that replaces it.
    There seems however some confusion over whether the 6517 is new so I will be looking at last years catalogue tomorrow to confirm it once and for all.

I had a look at the 6517 today in Curry's and it seemed pretty good. My concerns were :-

a) that the virtual Dolby could be switched off ? It seems that the default is nicam and a button on the remote switches it into mono and "spatial" which I assume is the virtual Dolby so I think the answer is yes ?

b) what effect the scavem has ? This is difficult as I cannot compare it with a 6506. Apparently the 6006 has scavem and that has good write ups !

Why Philips show both the 6517 and the 6506 on their website I do not know. There seems over the last few days to be lots of places selling the 6506 at about the same price as the 6517.
    I see Wayne praises the 50Hz 6506 but is not convinced about the Scavem and I agree that as far as my eyes go that 50Hz wins the day over 100Hz (except for DVD) but what should I do, 6506 without Scavem or 6517 with it ?

28. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Momo

I too was considering the PS1 and decided against it for the same reason I think. When playing with the aspect ratios in a store it seemed that as you arrived at Panasonic Auto mode a picture with some text at the bottom would be OK for a split second and then the picture would jump to some zoom mode and the text would be off the screen. I suppose the answer would be to view in 4:3 mode but nice to be able to have a full screen picture without losing stuff off the bottom. Perhaps there would be no problem with satellite feed.
    I gave up looking at 6506 prices as if anything they seemed to be higher than 6517 but I've not checked for a while.

I don't know about the virtual dolby on the 6517.

I'm so fed up trying to decide on a TV I'm fairly sure I'm going for 6517 with scavem.

(posting in a hurry, hope it makes sense)

onzey

29. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Virtual Dolby can be switched off, the button that does mono/spatial also does stereo/Virtual Dolby.

30. ibrox

ibrox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting that the Virtual Dolby on 6517 can be turned off as I understand from posts on other threads that the sound quality is pretty poor.?
    However, as I am in possession of a Sony DAV S550 all in one and waiting on the 6517 then should connect the sound system through that + turn the virtual dolby off.?

Could someone confirm please.