Are these memorysticks likely to be fake/crap/rip-offs?

difficult to say. FoneJunkie might be your best bet - I've used them for other items and there were no problems.

Unless someone is an authorised Sony dealer you are taking a risk. Ask before you buy.

I wouldn't buy one of those. Check the feedback from other buyers:

1 out of 5: "Bad 'replica' Sandisk SD card, malfunctioning, other dubious items included without me asking, poor comms, at your own risk!"
Date: 2006/3/28 Rated by Buyer: philwhite1

1 out of 5: "Rude and abusive after I called to find out if they had received the memory card I returned. All because I phoned SanDisk USA to enquire about the authenticity of the memory card bought"
Date: 2006/3/27 Rated by Buyer: lars_walker

Thanks Steve, I actually saw that after posting. I found a genuine 2GB pro duo, still sealed and in the UK on eBay shortly after. I didn't bid, but put an offer in instead of £45 inc p+p and the seller accepted. Well pleased with that! :thumbsup:

Be careful, I bought a "Genuine" 2GB from eBay and it is not geniune. There is a website somewhere that shows you the packaging of real/fake. Compare the images on the auction. £45 is very cheap for the real deal !

I got my money back in the end as the card was really 1GB.

danwalton said:
Thanks Steve, I actually saw that after posting. I found a genuine 2GB pro duo, still sealed and in the UK on eBay shortly after. I didn't bid, but put an offer in instead of £45 inc p+p and the seller accepted. Well pleased with that! :thumbsup:

Do you think I can pick up a 2GB MS cheap in the USA Airports? What price can I expect?

rss said:
Be careful, I bought a "Genuine" 2GB from eBay and it is not geniune. There is a website somewhere that shows you the packaging of real/fake. Compare the images on the auction. £45 is very cheap for the real deal !

I got my money back in the end as the card was really 1GB.

Do you mean that the card showed up as being just under 2gb and then wouldn't accept any more than 1gb when you were loading it up? I've heard of this happening with fakes...

Yes, it was fine up to 1GB, but as soon as you put more onto it crashed, then my phone wouldn't even see any files until it was reset. Then I had to reformat the card and start over again.

The seller I bought mine from advertised them as genuine. I didn't really think much of it at the time as I was in a hurry. It was on this forum that made me question whether mine was fake or not. Anyhow, I contacted Sony, they said it was a fake so I filed a complaint with PayPal and got my money back.

The seller is still on eBay selling the memory cards. The only difference is he has removed the word 'genuine' from the auctions!

danwalton said:
Do you mean that the card showed up as being just under 2gb and then wouldn't accept any more than 1gb when you were loading it up? I've heard of this happening with fakes...

rss said:
The seller is still on eBay selling the memory cards. The only difference is he has removed the word 'genuine' from the auctions!

Scumbag!

Given that these cards are about the £75 mark in the UK, anything less than that is bound to be fake, no matter what the sellers says about it - they're not going to say it is fake, are they? :rolleyes:

Even in the far east, genuine 2gb cards cost about £60, and this is about as cheap as you can get.

I have to say I'm fascinated by flash memory and the recent advances (iPod Nano being a good example). It makes me wonder when we will be able to totally do away from harddrives and just use flash storage. I mean, in 5 years or so we'll probably be able to buy cheap 20GB memorysticks...

jian said:
Given that these cards are about the £75 mark in the UK, anything less than that is bound to be fake, no matter what the sellers says about it - they're not going to say it is fake, are they? :rolleyes:

Even in the far east, genuine 2gb cards cost about £60, and this is about as cheap as you can get.

I recently ordered a 2gb sony high speed card from China for £35, reading this it looks like it will be a fake. Is there a chance it will work fine and I'll have no problems? The seller has sold loads of these and had 1000's of positive feedback :confused:

danwalton said:
I have to say I'm fascinated by flash memory and the recent advances (iPod Nano being a good example). It makes me wonder when we will be able to totally do away from harddrives and just use flash storage. I mean, in 5 years or so we'll probably be able to buy cheap 20GB memorysticks...

Hi all,

this topic was discussed earlier in this forum:
Fake Duo Cards

You find all the links and pictures to check out if your card is dodgy or not.

Cheers

benzol

I've had a fake 2gb card for a few months with no problems at all. Seem there is an element of luck involved.

Yes, there are some that seem to work ok apparently.

anticlaus105 said:
I've had a fake 2gb card for a few months with no problems at all. Seem there is an element of luck involved.

i got a sony 2 gb stick off ebay - granted it has been found to be a fake - but ive had it now for over a month - no problems at all - i think its just the luck of the draw.

You may consider - pc ram as an example - theres alot of unbranded ram in pcs - this seems to run for eons without any problems, but then again u pays ya money...

Frankly if you intend to store data on these sticks - or proper branded "proven" sticks then you need ya head examined - always back data up to cd or dvd....

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
With 2gb memory sticks costing £70 or so, might as well pay the extra £10 and pick up a Datel 4gb hard drive with X2 battery pack

Burned said:
With 2gb memory sticks costing £70 or so, might as well pay the extra £10 and pick up a Datel 4gb hard drive with X2 battery pack

I personally wouldn't, jus because it nearly doubles the thickness of the PSP.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom