Question Are these dust spots?

GigabitEthernet

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if these are dust spots. I've got an EPSON TW3200.

IMG_20160815_134306.jpg

Can't see the image properly on my phone but it doesn't look like dust blobs to me. These tend to be in one or two place not covering the entire screen. Has this just appeared or been slowly getting worse?

It's been there in truth for quite a few months. It's more visible when you defocus the screen hence why I thought it might be dust blobs.

I'll see if I can get a better photo up soon but they're all purple.

If you minimise the image down to the smallest possible size and press the Pattern button on the bottom left of the remote you should be able to make out the blobs as specs on the screen.

Unfortunately Epson pjs are partial to dust blobs in the same way Oliver Reed was partial to a drink :D

Emailed Epson and apparently I'm still in warranty, therefore they're sending an engineer around to try to fix and then if not, swap out the unit. Hopefully a good result.

I don't think they're dust blobs so it's seriously good news that you're still under warranty.

I don't even know how long the warranty is. I've had the projector under three years.

Any idea what it could be? If they're not dust blobs that's good as my environment I didn't believe was particularly dusty.

They're usually green aren't they?

Any of the ones that afflicted my pjs usually showed up as grey spots against the really dark grey that passed for black on the Epson :)

As you have defocused the the image on the projector, I feel there are dust blubs. However there is also something else going on here. The uniformity is wrong and this is not a dust blob feature.

So, you have two issues here, one is that you have quite a few dust specs, the other is the uniformity is not right. This looks like the optical block issue or a filter issue with the light output from the projector degrading one of the other.

Regards, Shane.

It should have a constant white-ish colour across the screen and not a pinky to white at one edge and a blue to white at the other edge. This could mean one of the two things that I mentioned above.

Dust blobs create an issues with uniformity, however this projector also has blue and redish/pink tint to the opposite edges to the image, which are tell tell signs that something else is going on here. It's doesn't mean the projector is dead either as with age this happens to many LCD projectors. Shining a bright light through something which can discolour can only have one outcome.

See how bad it is once its been cleaned. I still feel the uniformity will still show, but not in the same was as the first image as that is certainly dust.

Regards, Shane.

Hmm that doesn't look like any dust spots I've ever seen, uniformity aside.

You haven't got a humidifier in the room have you? It looks kind of like oil deposits from perfumed oil that you can add to humidifiers.

Just an idea...

According to Epson, it will be replaced if the engineer cannot repair the fault onsite (got an engineer coming tomorrow). They haven't said anything about cleaning it.

The convergence on this protector is bad too. There's a green line down each side of the screen.

You haven't got a humidifier in the room have you? It looks kind of like oil deposits from perfumed oil that you can add to humidifiers.

Never had a humidifier in the room. It's on a high shelf with a small gap behind the projector allowing decent airflow. Regularly clean the filters, etc.

I thought they were small and maybe from a fan inside which could have been leaving lubricant.

But I'm unsure how long its been going on.

I'd say I've been able to notice it for maybe 6 months. I don't think it's got worse in that time, I've just started looking for it more.

Epson guy been and gone and the projector has been swapped out for a reconditioned model.

Much more white I think and the dust appears to be gone. The bizarre thing is that when defocussing, I still can see all the same artifacts as I could before :confused:

The plot thickens. These are only visible when the lens is zoomed out. They disappear when the image is enlarged to fill my screen.

IMG_20160817_143732344.jpg IMG_20160817_143740319.jpg

Looks like you have dust on all the panels now. I'd give them a ring again and voice your concern.

Regards, Shane.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom