Are these discs likely to work on XS32?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by onzey, Dec 30, 2004.

1. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought some discs in haste before Christmas and before actually getting XS32 and wasn't sure what to get. None have been opened so can still take them back. Can someone tell me if they think they are suitable (bit of a noob at all this).

DVD-R
    These are Sony 1x-8x compatible. On the rear of the box there is a caution
    "This disc is a new standard -high speed media- in conformity for General Version 2.0/8X-SPEED DVD-R Revision 3.0" (it adds a warning about possible damage to incompatable drives/recorders). I suspect these will be no good.

DVD-RW
    These are Philips 1-2X. On the rear of this package it says version 1.1 + revision 1.0.
    Further it says "Before using this disc in a 1x DVD-R/RW data drive or DVD-R/RW video recorder you need to check how to get the required firmware upgrade (then mentions a website).

DVD-RAM
    These are Panasonic 2-3X (non cartridge). On the rear of this package it says "This disc is in conformity with the DVD-RAM Version 2.1 / 3X-SPEED DVD-RAM Revision 1.0 standard, and is capable of recording at 2X and 3X speed.

I have looked at the manual but I'm still confused by the versions/revisions.

Thanks.

2. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think they will all work fine. I have used DVD-R/RW of the same description (i.e. 1x-8x, 1-2x), different manufacturers. The RAM I am less sure of as I have only used the one that came in the Tosh box.

3. onzey

onzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply Neville.

Actually, I took them back earlier today before reading your post. I was nervous of the 8X -R's (manual only mentions 4X) and also no mention in the manual of the "+ revision 1" for the -RW's. I didn't know initially there was a RAM disc in the box so bought the RAMs as well.

Will pick some more up sometime but not sure yet if I will keep the Toshiba.

4. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using Verbatim (Advanced AZO) DVD-R 8X discs on my XS32. Got through over 25 over Christmas period and not had a single problem. They say Revision 1.0 on them.

Also using Memorex DVD-RW 1X-2X discs without problem.

Haven't actually used DVD-RAM yet (not even the one which came with it). Not really got a use for them yet.