are these diamond earrings actually cheap!mas,

dyspraxicowl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
last week I purchased some nice jewellery for the missus for Christmas, but made a mental note to cgheck if the price went down today, incase I could make savings

got something I know she would love, which in my terms wasn't too expensive (400ish), however she always jokes about me buying her diamonds, which although I like, I feel are very very expensive.

However she can wear jewellery at work, and tends to wear studs, for ease

this morning on goldsmiths website, this is on the home page.

does it seem cheap to you, or is it a false price, im a man and don't understand this stuff!!!
I do know they will be VERY small, im not questioning that - more of is it actually a good price.

9ct White Gold 0.07 Carat Diamond Stud Earrings | Earrings | Jewellery | Goldsmiths

Last edited:
It's 9 carat gold not 18 which would be normal for higher end jewellery.

It's not a big diamond, it's very, very small.

The value of a diamond is dictated by a number of factors and prices vary wildly.

How much does a 1 carat diamond cost for example?

For something that's barely above the quality for a drill bit £250 would more than cover it.
For a perfectly coloured, flawless, perfectly cut one £25,000 +

Most of the chain jewellers are very guilty of pricing stuff unrealistically for a few months a year and then putting a "Sale" price on it.

Diamonds are priced on size clarity and colour. These are rather small with the overall earring size being made up by the setting and we know nothing about the quality of the diamond. It does depend on expectations of the recipient, but I think I'd probably avoid these. I don't think they are a particular rip off or anything like that, but I think you could find yourself wishing you had spent more for something slightly better

That's something you give your wife just before you hand her the divorce papers ;)

Best diamonds I ever sourced & bought was from Majorca. Great little jewellers just at the back of the cathedral. I bought our engagement ring there & went back to get the wedding rings 4 years later.

Work out a budget of at least £1k for a decent colour, clarity & size.

My Uncle had a diamond business in London. I was very surprised by how little they can cost and the mark up. Some of his work was for a very well known up market company and there's a lot of money to be made.

I have been using a guy just off Hatton Garden for the past five years. Much cheaper than the high street.

I have been using a guy just off Hatton Garden for the past five years. Much cheaper than the high street.

Who would you recommend. I have said that I will buy my wife a decent engagement ring - the original cheapo bought over 30 years ago has finally fallen apart.

Would like to buy something better (around £2k mark) and have been told I should look at the Birmingham or London diamond quarters.

We did visit London a few months ago, went to Hatton Garden but didn't realise everything would be shut on a Sunday. But what struck me was that it was a lot of small shops so unsure how best to choose one.

Cheers,

Nigel

Who would you recommend. I have said that I will buy my wife a decent engagement ring - the original cheapo bought over 30 years ago has finally fallen apart.

Would like to buy something better (around £2k mark) and have been told I should look at the Birmingham or London diamond quarters.

We did visit London a few months ago, went to Hatton Garden but didn't realise everything would be shut on a Sunday. But what struck me was that it was a lot of small shops so unsure how best to choose one.

Cheers,

Nigel

I am not sure at that price point. Just walk up and down Hatton Garden, pay cash and you should be ok.

If you have any holidays planned they are much cheaper in Asia. The main stone in my wife's engagement ring came from Malaysia and was a good deal.

I've bought from these guys in the past and was happy with service and quality.

As mentioned, you really want to go 18k if you can. Then it's a case of balancing off diamond quality v size v budget.

Eg, for £450 you get a good size and average quality as below. You can go bigger, worse quality or smaller, better quality... but the only way to get top quality and good size is to go deep in the wallet :)

F/VS 0.40Ct Round Diamond Stud Earrings made in 18k White Gold

Come on internet, the humour potential in this statement is completely off the charts. I am dissappointed in you.

However she can wear jewellery at work

All the other women there will know exactly how much you paid, and you're lovely wife will be shamed by your cheap present as they titter behind her back.

As mentioned, you really want to go 18k if you can.
I know standard 18K gold looks different from 9K, but is there really any noticable difference between white gold's % gold? particularly on a pair of studs where hardly any of it is visible?

I know standard 18K gold looks different from 9K, but is there really any noticable difference between white gold's % gold? particularly on a pair of studs where hardly any of it is visible?
In the short term not much difference but over a longer term, 18k will keep its quality much better, especially white gold which loses it's colour more obviously through age. With diamonds being a lifetime purchase/usage for most people, it definitely pays to go 18k.

In which case, I have no issues with low hanging fruit, my response goes a little like this.

"said George Michael to his defence lawyer"

In the short term not much difference but over a longer term, 18k will keep its quality much better, especially white gold which loses it's colour more obviously through age. With diamonds being a lifetime purchase/usage for most people, it definitely pays to go 18k.
Thanks, my wife has some 9K white gold so I was wondering what the difference was in practical terms.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom