1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are these compression issues or problems with my setup?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by kwangomango, Oct 13, 2004.

1. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have started noticing more and more recently, what appears to be posterization(solarization, false contouring, colour banding etc.) artifacts on some films. Having read internet reviews of the discs which fail to highlight these artifacts, I am starting to worry that the fault is being introduced by my equipment. Would people be kind enough to check out the scenes below to see if they experience the same problems

1. HellBoy (R1)

a) The HellBoy logo on the opening credits has severe banding in the swirling reds(this may however be artistically intentional).
    b) When the opening snow scene fades in from the credits, I see a series of obvious contours rising from the bottom left corner.
    c) When HellBoy drops the light sticks into the water, there are obvious colour contours around the sticks as they sink down. This is at 55 minutes into the film.

2. Finding Nemo (R1 and R2)

a) Many of the underwater scenes have rippling contours in them

3. Return of the Jedi (R2)

a) When Han is released from the Carbonite there are very very slight contours in the blue light that is emitted from the casing.

4. Shaun of the Dead (R2)

a) When the “Studio Canal” logo fades out just before film starts, I see colour contours.

5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (R2)

a) At various points in the film I noticed contouring particularly as scenes faded in and out from one another

These are the most recent ones that spring to mind. I am running a Sony DVP930 into a Loewe Mimo via a Supra component cable. It has all been properly calibrated with setup discs. The odd thing is the some of the issues are just slightly less obvious when I use a Thor Scart with RGB. This is mainly in scenes with blue such as the opening of HellBoy and the light beams in ROTJ.

Many thanks for any help.

2. Tonmeistermat

Tonmeistermat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not sure what a Loewe Mimo is, but I suspect it's either a pj or a large TV...

I have certianlly seen the banding in Finding Nemo... there's a particulary bad one when daddy nemo (who's name I can't remember) slowly glides through some murky water and gradualy becomes visible: he appears to switch up through half a dozen shades of orange. I also saw it in the underwater stuff in Lake placid.

I'm pretty certain it's a DVD compression thing, but I could be wrong...

3. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Having reviewed the HELLBOY disc for the site and watched Finding Nemo many times I can assure you these are not issues on my setup. While poorly encoded discs can certainly be a cause of these digital artefacts these two discs are not renowned for them. Try to eliminate things one by one. Try to view your discs on another TV, or with a different DVD player. I have a SIM HT 300 projector and a Pioneer plasma, and regularly notice digital artefacts on the plasma, this is especially true if any kind of digital processing is turned on. Try switching off any processing your TV has. I think these are more likely sources of your problem than the discs, which are all of a high standard of encoding.

4. smack

smack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a 32” Loewe Mimo connected to a Toshiba DVD SD330 player and Telewest Cable Box both with Ixos scart leads for a year and have not noticed any contouring while watching DVDs yet, but I do notice it while watching television, I first noticed it a few weeks ago when What Lies Beneath was on ITV2, blue scenes especially when there is a light source like a lamp or car headlights under water seem very noticeable, it is bugging me as I keep looking out for it now and like you I don't know if it is the source material that is meant to look like that or if the TV is causing it, I also noticed it when the 13th Warrior was being shown, in some scenes when they are carrying torches through some tunnels the light emitting from the torches seems contour like, I connected my daughters Portable up to the cable box by the video scart to see if I could see the contouring on her TV while also keeping an eye on the Mimo, I could not see any contours it looked a lot more fluent, but to be fair the screen size and the fact that the portable is 50hz was not a fair comparison, contours were very visible in some scenes of Predator on channel 5 last night especially scenes with smoky or foggy backgrounds. I checked out the Return of the Jedi Scene you mentioned, but I did not notice any contours.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I've yet to see a digital processing equiped display that does not posterise to a certain extent .

Some are better than others , plasma for example has only been usable with the last 2 years because of this and even then its only the decent panny and pioneer models that are acceptable in this regard.

Good way to knacker a good CRT is to stick an analogue to digital stage in there.

6. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it does happen if your display is good enough it will show up the limits of dvd

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Banding is indicative of insufficient bitdepth somewhere in the images chain (those nasty Ato D stages I mentioned). Mpeg2 compression artifacts are normally limited to macroblocking.

Banding wise dvd shouldn't be any worse in this regard than the original D1 master (certainly)

8. smack

smack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good way to knacker a good CRT is to stick an analogue to digital stage in there.

Mr D can you explain what you mean by the above?
    Thanks

9. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Well, after what seemed like endless arseing about, i can conclude that it is the TV at fault. The odd thing is that most of the time the problem only occurs when it is being fed a component video signal(the rest of the time i think it is the disc itself as i could see the artifacts on another TV). This is most annoying/confusing as otherwise the Loewe produces a better picture when fed a component signal.
    Would be great if anyone could explain or concur my findings.

Cheers.

10. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,165
    Andrew, Finding Nemo R1 is very poor for colour banding, this is the worst Pixar release to date:)