Are these cheapo Android media players any good

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by dapex, Feb 6, 2014.

1. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all.... I currently have 6 Viewsonic VMP74's round the house which to be fair all do a great job of playing my movies and TV shows from my NAS... But they are basic... Looking for something better and with a nicer GUI... I loved XBMC when it was running on my old xbox's and would love to go back to that..

Looking on ebay you can get nice Android boxes for about £60 that come with XBMC preinstalled and most advertise dual core CPU etc.... Does anyone know if they are any good?? Are there certain chipsets to stay away from etc??

dont really want to spend a fortune as when buying 6 it starts to add up a bit.. Would love something with a decent media wall so XBMC or even a boxee box woudl be a great start:):)

Any thoughts

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    They can be okay.

Amlogic chipsets have the most reliable video decoding, there are 4 Amlogic chip lines
    M8 = newest quad core chip, but only starting to appear in China will probably a be a while more before you see them over here.
    M6 = dual core chip, currently available in various Android boxes, sometimes labelled as MX.
    M1 and M3 = single core chip, older was basis for original XBMC on Android.

So right now the M6 ones are the best Amlogic option to buy.

Some vendors supply a build of XBMC with the device but XBMC 13 will be the one you can use on any Android box, XBMC 13 is just going into beta.

Watch out for vendors on eBay some of them have been known to pre-install add-on's with advertising malware. If in any doubt remove XBMC for the device and do a clean install of the app.