1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are these cables any good?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pixel, Apr 20, 2003.

1. pixel

pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QED Qunex P75 Coaxial Cable
    "The Qunex P75 Coaxial Cable features true 75 Ohm co-axial cable, 99.999% high purity oxygen free conductors, foamed LDPE insulation, dual concentric screen technology, isolated PVC outer jacket, half micron 24ct gold plated RCA phono plugs, ergonomically sculptured zinc alloy plated barrel and a Teflon insulated split centre pin. Size: 6.2mm Dia."

Ixos XHV804 Component Video Lead
    "The XHV804 features component video format individually transfers red, green & blue for superb colour separation & picture definition. Plus oversized high grade PC-OFC conductors for sharper, more defined images, true 75-ohm OFC cable construction to ensure faithful picture transmission, extra clean signal transfer from 4-layer quad shielding, two OFC braid screens & two Aluminium Mylar screens provide superior noise protection, and high tech gold plated hard enamel RCA connectors maximise signal transfer."

Or should I get somthing else?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    You should get a set of cables from Mark Grant or Elliot(X3ELS). Both will offer superior performance for less money.

Gordon

3. pixel

pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is that right...why?

4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Because to buy the equivilent "retail" cable your going to pay 4 times as much.
    Can't vouch for Elliots cables, but i can for Mark Grants...they are beautifully constructed cables using expensive connectors & the finest silver plated copper conductors, & is the same cable used by v.expensive "bespoke" cable manufacturers, you should try one...really, my whole cinema has been wired using Mark Grant cables, digital, analog you name it he makes it.
    I have no tie in with Mark Grant I'm just a really satisfied customer.....although i should now qualify for a heavily discounted cable:rotfl: :D :smoke: :smashin:
    ohh you got to take a look at his mains cable a work of art....

:smashin:

Tim

5. pixel

pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I get them on line?

And why do the copper conductors need to be silver plated? Will I really see any difference or is it more how you feel about them than any real tangible benefit?

6. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    You can't, you can contact Mark through email i'll PM you.

Silver is a better conductor than copper.

For me the sonic benefits were quite subtle, the biggest improvement was in the treble/mid.
    The video(s-video) improvements were quite marked (through my HCPC) whereas i used to suffer from herringbone interference,it has now has been eliminated.
    The mains cable upgrades have also cleaned the sound & video signals.
    So all in conjunction with all 3 upgrades (mains/video/interconnects) the improvements are clear.
    To put it into perspective most of my cinema is re-cabled for the cost of a couple of high end interconnects, for me, it's a no brainer.
    :smashin:
    Tim

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Mark's and Elliots cables are designed to meet the specifications required to transmit the signals you want to transmit.

Elliots do not use any fancy coverings or have any fancy specs. They just have correct specs and correct plugs.

Mark's seem to be a similar, sensible design.

I see no need for silver myself. I am up for trying though.

Gordon