Are these antiques?

Frankie_D

Standard Member
Reaction score
Basically at home here we have an ancient hi-fi separates system, and id like to know if:
a) The components have any value
b) Whether anyone knows a shop or someone who would be interested in them
c) Whether even a modern basic system such as a sub £250 amp and sub £300 cd player would be better

Right the seperates are:
1) A Sony CDP-101 cd player which my dad claims to be the first mass produced cd player!
2) A NAD Series 20 3020 amp, which i reckon has no value.
3) Celestion Ditton 15XR stereo floorstanders.

I do have pictures but can never attach them so if anyone wants to try just ask.

Thanks for your views
Frankie

Don't know about the amp and speakers but your dads right about the CDP-101, this was Sony's first (if not the first commercially available) CD player back in 83ish IIRC :eek:
Very expensive when released so yes I would suggest if it is in good condition and all in working order then it will certainly have a some worth, its a piece of history afterall so personally I'd keep hold of it ;)

Attachments

• cdp-101.jpg
    cdp-101.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 446
That was the cd player in the wedding singer.

Dave.

I'd say eBay the player, those old 14-Bit machines have a worth to the right buyer. Got the 21yr old box and manual too ???

Mike.

Thats the right one Zone, it still has remote, manual, and receipts somewhere (i'll try and find it tommorrow so you can see how high the price was!) although no box, its mint apart from the tray sometimes gets stuck but i just need to open it up to de-dust it to fix that.

Ahh. Memories. The Ditton 15XRs were my first "real" Hi-Fi speakers in the early 80s. They got rave reviews at the time. I blew one of the tweeters on mine when they were well over two years old. I called Celestion to ask for a price and they sent me one completely free of charge. Haven't got a clue what they're worth though.

Just had a quick Google and found this site selling the sony for 199euro which works out at £135 approximately, suprised I'd have thought it would be worth more.
Bought my first CD player in 86 or so, again a Sony their CDP-C500M model with a 5 disc carousel and its still in daily use :clap:

The Nad was the first budget 'audiophile' stereo amp and started a huge trend. An excellent sound for the money at the time and they sold loads.

Overall that system should be in a bedroom somewhere and loved!

Originally posted by Frankie_D
(i'll try and find it tommorrow so you can see how high the price was!)

Ticket price when I bought mine was £599.00, paid £549.00.
Came with free copy of Escape by Journey. :)

Originally posted by Flimber
.... those old 14-Bit machines have a worth to the right buyer. Got the 21yr old box and manual too ???

Sony CDP-101 was a 16bit model with 4x Oversampling, back in 1983 other choices I had were 16bit Hitachi or Toshiba, or 14bit Philips or Marantz.
The hi-fi comics at the time made a case for 14bit being better, as time passed we had the benefits of 16bit 8x Oversampling, then the breakthrough of Sony / Technics 1bit players with 256x Oversampling.
I ignored the breakthrough and bought the original Arcam Alpha 5 in 1993 for £449.00 less ten per cent discount. A 16 bit model, it still works perfectly and sounds great.
Tried Arcam's Black Box solution for a while too.
Strange how incremental improvements are trumpeted every year by makers and press as being substantial triumphs, then you compare ten year old products with the latest thing and often there's not much difference. :cool:

21 years ago, Jeez !!! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by gringottsdirect
...Strange how incremental improvements are trumpeted every year by makers and press as being substantial triumphs, then you compare ten year old products with the latest thing and often there's not much difference. :cool:

21 years ago, Jeez !!! :rolleyes:

"So true, Funny how it seems..."

Best CD player I ever heard was 16-Bit.

Mike.

Originally posted by Flimber

Best CD player I ever heard was 16-Bit.

All CD players are 16 bit max :), even 20 years on

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom