Are these 2 power cables the same?

TripleEYE

Novice Member
Hey there kind helper, I have recently purchased an Instant Pot from the UK.
It comes with 2 options of power cables: UK (3-prong) & EU (2-Prong+inwards grounding prong. see details below).

I am in Israel, trying to figure out if the 3-Prong Israeli cable I have is the same (or perhaps better? hopefully not worst) than the one I am about to replace (I t-h-i-n-k the Israeli one I have may be an H-cable, but I'll post details below to make sure). I don't want to risk my appliance, the shipping of which cost as much if not more than the price of the product itself, which as it is costs more in the UK than it does in the US... So I really want to be sure if I can use this cable before I try it out.

And if not - then what is it that I need to ask in the stores so that they don't just give me a cable that is practically the same as my currently owned Israeli one?

The EU cable that comes with the Instant Pot:
CIXI WANNENG ELECTRON CO..LTD IC SUO112-14001 <VDE> H05VV-F 3G0.75mm² 60227 IEC53 (RVV) 300/500V -LF-

Right Next to the prongs, it also says:
D003 SU04173-14001 16A 250~ KEMA KEUR EAC VDE TL 04
And I was sure I saw "UL" on it too, but as I'm typing this I'm not finding that anywhere.

The Israeli cable I currently own:
GFC-3R <VDE> KEMA-KEUR <SEMKO> <DEMKO> <NEMKO> <FIMKO> <CEBEC 616> <ÖVE> +S+S+S IEMMEQU NF-USE-1291-H05VV-F 3G 1.00mm² LONGWELL-P 2006
Right Next to the prongs, it also says:
<ת> LP-41 Longwell 16 250~

Are they the same? Are they interchangeable?
Please, thank you, and another thank you on top for good measure 🙏

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
The mains power supply in Israel is, as far as I can see, the same as in the UK. Thus the power won't kill the instant pot; and a simple cable doesn't change the power. Instant Pots run directly off the mains; they don't need any kind of external transformer/power supply unit.

So the cable you need has
  • on one end, a trailing socket that will fit the connectors on the Instant Pot
  • on the other, a plug that will fit your wall socket.
I'd suggest that it probably needs an earth (ground) connection.

TripleEYE

Novice Member
Thank you!

The mains power supply in Israel is, as far as I can see, the same as in the UK.
I never quite understood what the word “mains” means, in an electrical content. How do you recognize that it's the same on the cable itself, too? I want to be able to recognize it in the future too.

Thus the power won't kill the instant pot;
That's good news! 🙏

and a simple cable doesn't change the power. Instant Pots run directly off the mains; they don't need any kind of external transformer/power supply unit.
Yes, I purchased from the UK (as opposed to the US), realizing that this would mean I can use the device without a transformer 👍

So the cable you need has
  • on one end, a trailing socket that will fit the connectors on the Instant Pot
✅Check
  • on the other, a plug that will fit your wall socket.
✅Check

I'd suggest that it probably needs an earth (ground) connection.
It does.
The EU one technically fits the wall here in Israel, but the grounding pin in it won't get into the wall here (since the EU one goes into the cable, whereas the Israeli wall needs an outward pin to get into the wall itself just like the other 2 pins).
This is the exact reason why I wanted to replace the cable with an Israeli one (so that I have a functioning earth/ground connection).
But I first wanted to make sure that the cable I own won't damage the device, and has all the standards as the UK one has.

So in conclusion:
1. Is the mains really all that matters?
2. What is the mains, anyway? Is that the “16/250”, perhaps?
And what does the 16 mean here anyway?
And how come the cables themselves don't mention Hz?
3. What about all the standards that the EU cable has? (I see that VDE is on both of them, but what about UL, and all the others? Don't they need to exist in the Israeli cable as well?)
4. Does the thickness of the cables matter? I see that the EU claims 0.75mm² whereas the Israeli claims 1.00mm². Does that somehow make the Israeli one any better?
5. Thank you so much for that amazingly quick reply 👍👌🙏

P.S.
I'm a very curious person and am eager to understand things. I hope it's ok, I apologize for the wall of text, and I really do appreciate the reply and information shared ♥

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
1: Yes
2: The Mains (in this context) is the voltage and frequency of what comes in to your house and arrives at your wall socket. In UK (and Israel) it is ~230/240V and 50hz. That is all that really matters for compatibility.
3: I think the 16A in your case is the largest current (in amps) your cable (or its plug) can safely carry. FYI: UK domestic circuits are rated at 13A. Appliances draw only what they need. A higher capacity cable is fine; it only matters if the cable capacity is too low for the appliance in which case the wire will get hot (and in extreme cases, melt). Instant Pot uses around 4 Amp (much less than 16) so it's all good.
4: Thickness of the copper cores matters because that directly affects the current (amp) rating. Yours are rated at 16A it seems which is fine. Otherwise, as long as they are well made and properly connected and insulated, that's all that matters. Beyond their max capacity, "cables" only begin to matter to the appliance when they are more than just a cable (which isn't relevant in this case) - such as chargers for electronics (laptops, phones, etc) when they contain a transformer of some sort; then (and only then) does the transformer have to produce something that the equipment can cope with. The Instant Pot is mains powered directly so the cable is just a cable.
5: Sure.

TripleEYE

Novice Member
Wow! I am so glad I found this forum!
You are a maverick! A fountain of information!
Thank you so much, that reply was so in depth ♥

From your reply I figure that the standards don't matter that much (in the cable at least), as long as the mains is 230/240/250~, and as long as the largest current is at or above what is needed (such as 16A in my case).
I'm going to assume I understood correctly unless told otherwise.

Can't thank you enough for the care you've put into the reply and for being there to respond to a stranger to begin with 🙏

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom