Are there issues with latest Tiger updates?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Empgamer, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a new MacBook :) and am very pleased with it. It is currently running 10.4.7. Jon pointed out that the latest Tiger is 10.4.9 and, while I'm happy to update software generally, I have been concerned about some threads I've seen regarding problems with updates and wireless dropouts etc. There is a part of me that thinks, as all is working, leave it alone (at least until this 'issue', if indeed it is one, is fixed with a later release).

Is there such a problem with the latest Tiger or indeed are there any others?

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    It's actually 10.4.10 ... you can check on the apple website to see what gets updated with each of the installs - I'd certainly be thinking about moving to 10.4.9 as a minimum - to be more than 1 update behind could cause problems with security as well as some application interaction ...

Jon

3. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I don't think the 10.4.10 install itself has any problem. I think it was the wireless update (which I've still not installed). I had problems, which required me to reinstall OS X. I had the Macbook sent away and they replacement the wireless card. They said it was both software and hardware related.

Since I got the card replaced, about 2 months ago, I've had no drop outs, and I'm running 10.4.10 without the Airport Extreme Update 2007.

Then again, with 10.5.1 out next month, it might be a moot point anyways.

4. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    OK, thanks. I might go to 10.4.10 then. Still finding my way around this but it there a system restore type facility with Macs or would it just be a case of downloading 10.4.9 and overwriting?

5. grantsteve

grantsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Apologies for the mini hijack - I am having a constant problem with my macbook dropping the connection to the express base station.

Is this the same thing you experienced?

6. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Are you talking about the airport update for base stations or an OSX update for the macs - might help reduce confusion for readers ?

jon

7. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    I'm talking about the Airport card in the Macbook itself. I'm using a Netopia router, not an Apple Base Station.

8. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,747
    10.4.11 is currently being worked, probably last one before all new 10.5.

9. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As this will be my first OS X upgrade I'd like to be sure I have this right. If I do a system upgrade for OS X will that only upgrade the OS on the MacBook or will part of that upgrade also affect the Airport facility? If so, am I able to turn that off as I don't want to start getting wireless drop outs.

If the 10.4.9/10 upgrade does not affect Airport am I correct in assuming that at some time I would also need to root around and upgrade the software for that at some stage. Seems like I'll be doing more upgrades to this that I did with Windows and drivers!!

Addendum to above:

Doh!!! I had taken the version number I thought I had from Finder which says 10.4.7. I have 'Software Updates' programmed for weekly checks and, as it did an update as soon as I turned it on for the frist time last week, I was surprised I was still on 10.4.7. Looks like that's only the Finder version. Under About the Mac I'm on Tiger 10.4.10 :suicide: