1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there good w/s tv's to watch football on?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by beavis, May 10, 2002.

1. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit concerned with the recent posts regarding dodgy images watching football!

Anyone own a 32" or 36" Widescreen TV and watches football without any problems?

If push comes to shove, I'll get a 50hz set and put up with the flicker!

2. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the new Philips 36PW9607C (Pixel Plus) on sat. Watched manu vs arsenal the other nite and it was incredible - pic was crystal clear, no artifacts that i could see, nice round ball. Pic was so clear i could see the blades of grass :p :D :cool:

Spike

3. PapAV

PapAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi SpikeyBoyo,

You couldn't give me detailed impressions on what you think of your 9607? What did you have before? What else did you consider/look at?

4. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. PapAV

PapAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah I had a look in my local comet and it creamed the competition.

The 36" wega next to it looked awful in comparison

I read your review in the other thread previously.

I want to make sure footie's gonna be OK 'cos I want it in time for the world cup.

I've also got a PS2 and watch a huge amount of DVD's

Incidently, what's the sound like?

I've got a Sony QS DTS Amp with 4 Tannoy floorstanders and the matching centre (Mx range) + another sony amp powering a JBL sub. - I'm thinking of maybe using the speakers that come with the tv and moving my other setup into a different room

It comes with a sub doesn't it? what's it like?

SOMEONE MUST HAVE SEEN A REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I so wanna see a review. Anyone, anywhere.

:rolleyes:

6. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly i cant comment on the Audio side of the set as im not using it - have seperate AV amp - however i do believe it has a Sub as it has nicely styled port on the top of the set which does look like it would be the sub (cant think of any other reason for it being there).

I bought an Xbox on Saturday and the pic using PP is outstanding.

One thing i would comment on though is that it only has coax in for digital audio - but 4 scarts (2 RGB) plus a side Svid port. No componant though.

One word of warning though - the set weighs an absolute ton - took three of us to lift it onto the stand (two at each side and one at front as it very front heavy).

As for footy - PP works a treat. Nice vibrant colours, crystal clear and coulnt see any of the artifacts people had previously mentioned when viewing in shops.

Spike

7. PapAV

PapAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    were the speakers cordless?

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let's not all forget that the quality of the picture on a 100Hz TV depends *GREATLY* on the quality of the broadcast.

The Man U v Arsenal game was a particularly good quality broadcast. There are other games that are not as good quality and will display less than favourably on a 100Hz set.

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    The Man U v Arsenal match was perfect on my 100Hz Tosh 40WH08B, the best I have seen yet on a footy broadcast.

10. Latman

Latman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am looking into 36" models and hopefully will get my hands onto one over the next weeks or so.
    I have been reading all your reviews and I also went to see itin action at powerhouse.
    They had 3 36" tv's lined up side by side. first was the panasonic and next to it was the Philips and finally the Toshiba.
    I was originally thinking of buying the toshiba, but seeing Philips just blew my mind away.
    I will still go there and have a proper look at each one of them. Maybe get the guy to play some dvd's on them.
    Can you tell me if its true that it comes with 6 speakers? I have a separate amp (quite new, so no speakers yet), will I be able to use these speakers with the amp? (Marantz 5200)
    Thanks for all your posts.

11. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Not likely. The speakers with the Phillips are probably low-power little units driven by approx. 5W RMS amp in the telly. They will be unsuitable on the end of your higher powered Marantz. Your 5200 (and your ears) deserve something like Mission M72 Cinema or Wharfdale Cinema 8. A proper set of hifi speakers will really make the films come to life and gel with the Marantz.:)