Are there AV Receivers with a Digital Tuner?

R

rleishman

Now that we have digital TV signals, have the analog tuners in AV Receivers kept up and been converted to Digital?

I imagine that some do and some don't. But I can't work out from the ads which ones are which. It's even more confusing because of the "Dolby Digital" terminology - a Dolby Digital Receiver does not necessarily receive digitial TV broadcasts.

Is there a special terminology I should be looking for? Like "HD Receiver" or "SD Receiver"? Or something in the specs that gives it away?

Rosco

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
There are a few receivers with DAB radio tuners built in. The Yamaha RX-N600D is one such machine and retails at £600.

Ultra2man

I imagine that some do and some don't. But I can't work out from the ads which ones are which. It's even more confusing because of the "Dolby Digital" terminology - a Dolby Digital Receiver does not necessarily receive digitial TV broadcasts.

?

Rosco

Just to calrify and try to help with your confusion.
A receiver is an amplifier with a built in tuner for radio stations only, not TV signals.
Not all AV amps have tuners built in and so are described as amplifiers, not receivers.
As far as I am aware there are no Dolby Digital amps/receivers which are capable of taking an aerial or satelite feed. You will need a TV tuner/digibox/satelite box to be able to supply the TV signal to the amp/receiver.
The Dolby Digital terminology means that the amp/receiver can decode the Dolby Digital signal if it is present in the scource material.
It is very rare if not impossible to find a new AV amp/receiver that is not Dolby Digital capable.
Hope this helps with your understanding.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom