Are there any Windows MCE 1080p videos or games?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by squale, Jan 5, 2007.

1. squale

squale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got a new Samsung 50" 1080p DLP tv and I have it hooked up to my Media Center 2005 pc via VGA cable. It says that it can support 1080p over the vga cable and I can set the resolution to match the 1920x1080p native resolution of my tv on my computer's video card.

I was just wondering however if there is even any content on the computer that puts out 1080p? such as downloadable videos/movies and games?

I don't feel like spending $800 on a Blue-ray player just to see 1080p when I already have a computer that has a video card capable of putting out even higher resolution than this.

Thanks!

2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,058
    You can download some hi def movie clips from Microsoft Silverlight.

As for games, you should be able to adjust the graphics settings to run at 1920 x 1080, but you are going to need some seriously beefy hardware to get any decent performance at that resolution.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  3. squale

squale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah right now I am running my computer outputting 1280x720 to get 720p on the tv because when I output 1920x1080 for 1080p, the damn text and everything is just TOOO small to read on the tv. The resolution is so crazy on this tv I can't believe it!

I thought the game had to be specifically coded to take advantage of 1080p resolution.. no?

and as for video, what's this new 1080p high def coimputer video called? is this the ONLY 1080p video besides Blueray that's out right now?

4. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    you can buy a Blu-ray writer for your PC for around £400

you can download film trailers from the apple site in 1080p
    if you have haali media splitter installed and rename the mov files to mkv then you can view them in media center

5. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    My Laptop runs 1920x1200 on it's 17" screen. Get some glasses or move closer to the TV if you can't read text on a 50" !!! ( Or turn on Large fonts :)

GTR2 looks great at full resolution on my M90 Laptop at 1920x1200, but the M90 is a bit of a beast! Frame rate never drops below 60fps with everything turned on full! It has a Quadra FX GPU, which aren't supposted to be that great for games!

Games look great at this resolution given decent CPU and GPU hardware, but I would expect nothing OTT would be required. Something like a single GF7900GT would probably do the trick for most games - which aren't too expensive nowadays. But obviously, the more h/w you throw at it, the more you'll be able to turn on, in the way of Anti Aliasing etc.

6. squale

squale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what are some of the best games to run on the pc in 1080p? I like racing games the best.. I have motogp 3 and motorcross madness 2 only.

also would I be better running the resolution on the computer at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200? my computer is hooked up to my 1080p samsung dlp, so I think matching the resolutions would be the best idea... hence keep the computer at 1920x1080.

7. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
  8. squale

squale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why would you need 60fps, the human eye can't see anymore than 30fps because this is considered fluid motion to us.

any other good racing games for motorcycles or dirtbikes, quads, etc.?

I wish they had ATV Off Road Fury for pc..

9. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    How does a Blu-ray writer help display files at 1080p?

10. springtide

springtide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,481
    IMO, you need about an average of 50fps for games so that the action is completely fluid. Lower than this and you'll get stuttering when there's lots of action.

e.g. The frame rates can suddenly "half" or "quarter" for a half a second or so when there are lots going on, so you want to be running games with CPU/GPU reserves for when it's needed. With high frame rates you'll not notice this sudden drop in frame rate, but without these “reserves” you'll get stuttering.

11. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    if you have access to newsgroups there is lots of hd material to download

12. caleebra

caleebra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The clips on the Microsoft website are trailers for Windows Media Video HD (WMV-HD) "features." Most of them dont look very appealing, but the beauty of the format is that it is held on a standard DVD disc so you can play it on your standard DVD-ROM. There are a few titles knocking around in addition to those on the Microsoft website, I'm sure a hunt around on Google would throw some info up.

IMO real 1080p goodness will come when attractively priced HD-DVD and Bluray readers discs become more widespread.

For now however, your HTPC should do a lovely job of upscaling standard DVD content to ten thousand and eighty horizontal lines!!

13. squale

squale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I already have a 480p progressive scan dvd player hooked to the tv video component video wires. Are you saying I would get better regular dvd picture quality if I run the dvd movies through my media center pc's dvd drive and put the computer resolution at 1920x1080 out to my tv via vga cable?

because right now I thought even if I use my regular 480p dvd drive, that my samsung tv will automatically upscale that to 1080p since that's the native resolution of the dlp tv?

so if what I say is true about the tv upscaling the regular dvd, then I see no picture quality improvement by going through the computer's dvd drive instead..