Question Are there any TV's from 2019 that does 4K @120hz ?

sagaris99

Hi

I'm just curious to know if anyone knows of any TV's from year 2019 that are cable of displaying 4K @120hz ?
All of the premium LG range.

SM9000/9800
B9 (I believe), C9, E9, W9.

There may be a couple of the high end Samsungs too.

Atarioldskool

All of the premium LG range.

SM9000/9800
B9 (I believe), C9, E9, W9.

There may be a couple of the high end Samsungs too.
I don't believe any of the LG TV do
The max they do is 4K @60hz
1080p @120hz

The only make and model I have managed to find that does do 4K @120hz is Samsung 90R

sagaris99

I don't believe any of the LG TV do
The max they do is 4K @60hz
1080p @120hz

The only make and model I have managed to find that does do 4K @120hz is Samsung 90R
Hmmm no. They are HDMI 2.1 compliant, meaning they can accept and display 4K 120hz. This is not yet possible to test as there are no 2.1 sources, but the supporting evidence would suggest so.

It is mentioned by multiple reviews and testers.

The 2019 Samsung Q90R could only support this on 1 of the HDMI ports, whereas with the LG's it's all 4.

Atarioldskool

Hmmm no. They are HDMI 2.1 compliant, meaning they can accept and display 4K 120hz. This is not yet possible to test as there are no 2.1 sources, but the supporting evidence would suggest so.

It is mentioned by multiple reviews and testers.

The 2019 Samsung Q90R could only support this on 1 of the HDMI ports, whereas with the LG's it's all 4.
Not according to Ratings com

Plus you don't need to be hdmi 2.1 compliant to able to play 4k @120hz.

A hdmi 2.0 is cable of doing it example Samsung R90

Watch this guy he knows his [email protected]

But I think I've just stumbled onto another hurdle.

Next gen console are 4k @120hz with VRR
All the TV's i am coming across the max VRR for 4K only goes upto 60hz

But for 1080p the max VRR goes all the way upto 120hz

Well isn't this just pointless then ?
The whole idea of wanting to play at 4K @120hz on these next gen console
Only for the TV's to claim they do support 4K @ 120hz but when it comes to VRR it only supports upto 60hz for 4K
This also applies for the new Samsung Qled 70T, 80T sets

I don't want to play at 1080p @120hz
Hope I'm making sense here ?

sagaris99

Not according to Ratings com

Plus you don't need to be hdmi 2.1 compliant to able to play 4k @120hz.

A hdmi 2.0 is cable of doing it example Samsung R90

Watch this guy he knows his [email protected]

But I think I've just stumbled onto another hurdle.

Next gen console are 4k @120hz with VRR
All the TV's i am coming across the max VRR for 4K only goes upto 60hz

But for 1080p the max VRR goes all the way upto 120hz

Well isn't this just pointless then ?
The whole idea of wanting to play at 4K @120hz on these next gen console
Only for the TV's to claim they do support 4K @ 120hz but when it comes to VRR it only supports upto 60hz for 4K
This also applies for the new Samsung Qled 70T, 80T sets

I don't want to play at 1080p @120hz
Hope I'm making sense here ?
Literally on the rtings.com page.

'LG advertises that the C9 supports a 4k @ 120Hz input from external devices'

It wouldn't be heavily advertised if this weren't true. Regardless, we still have no idea if there will be any games that support this at all.

HDMI 2.0 is not capable of 4K 120Hz HDR at 4:4:4, which is ultimately what everyone is hungry for.

And no, FOMOTech is not what I would consider someone who knows their [email protected]#£. He's been wrong on numerous occasions, nearly as bad as Quantum TV.

Atarioldskool

Literally on the rtings.com page.

'LG advertises that the C9 supports a 4k @ 120Hz input from external devices'

It wouldn't be heavily advertised if this weren't true. Regardless, we still have no idea if there will be any games that support this at all.

HDMI 2.0 is not capable of 4K 120Hz HDR at 4:4:4, which is ultimately what everyone is hungry for.

And no, FOMOTech is not what I would consider someone who knows their [email protected]#£. He's been wrong on numerous occasions, nearly as bad as Quantum TV.
Hi
Yes you are correct that hdmi 2.0 is not capable of 4k 120hz "HDR"
Due to limitation on bandwidth, BUT I thought this would not apply to gaming ? Only for viewing movies etc so that is why I wasn't concerned about HDR for games

But if HDR will be present then yes I'd rather have the lot!

Oh I wasn't aware of fomotech I thought he's pretty clued up as I came across some of his videos and my thoughts where he was knowledble

I was very very close on picking up the phone to RS today and buy the Samsung Q90R as the price has come down alot compared to when they was new release.
but I got cold feet as I wasn't sure if this TV would meet all of the specifications for a next gen console.
Thought to myself shall I wait till after the consoles have actually been released so we know what exact specs it has and what type of TV I require

RobGale

Hi
Yes you are correct that hdmi 2.0 is not capable of 4k 120hz "HDR"
Due to limitation on bandwidth, BUT I thought this would not apply to gaming ? Only for viewing movies etc so that is why I wasn't concerned about HDR for games

But if HDR will be present then yes I'd rather have the lot!

Oh I wasn't aware of fomotech I thought he's pretty clued up as I came across some of his videos and my thoughts where he was knowledble

I was very very close on picking up the phone to RS today and buy the Samsung Q90R as the price has come down alot compared to when they was new release.
but I got cold feet as I wasn't sure if this TV would meet all of the specifications for a next gen console.
Thought to myself shall I wait till after the consoles have actually been released so we know what exact specs it has and what type of TV I require
RS doesn’t have the Q90 in stock,they do have refurbished models though

RobGale

Oh
There website yesterday was showing in-stock

It's pointless now as I think best thing is just wait for the consoles to come out and take it from there
yeah, it’s a bit misleading as when you call they then say no stock available, it’s why it’s not available to but online

anlygi

Native 4K at 120 FPS with next gen consoles is going to turn out to be a damp squib.

The overwhelming majority of games are not going to hit anywhere near that. If all games can manage 60FPS in native 4K I'll be happy but I don't think even that will be the case. I understand things like VRR matter too, but they're throwing 120FPS 4K gaming around, setting expectations high.

nizzing

Native 4K at 120 FPS with next gen consoles is going to turn out to be a damp squib.

The overwhelming majority of games are not going to hit anywhere near that. If all games can manage 60FPS in native 4K I'll be happy but I don't think even that will be the case. I understand things like VRR matter too, but they're throwing 120FPS 4K gaming around, setting expectations high.

Every generation people seem to think that we're going to get a leap in frame rate. Usually it is people hoping for 60fps from the big titles. Now for some reason people seem to think they need a HDMI 2.1 TV because they're going to get 4k at 120fps from these titles.

Dream. On.

Studios will always just pack more detail into the game over frame rate. And they're not going to go heavy into 120fps when barely anyone even has a 120Hz TV.

gibbletts

Probably end up with a 4k 120 frames version of pong, can’t see any graphics heavy games doing 120 frames but I’ll stand corrected if there are.

Atarioldskool

Hey
Thought I'd bring this post back up!

Now that Sony have revealed the PS5
and assuming they have now revealed all the specification for it.

Has anyone drawn up a list of all the make / models of TV that would be fully compatible with the PS5 (making use of all the potential features)?

dawson001

The LG B9 and LG C9 both have HDMI 2.1 which is 4k at 120hz. LGs lower end models such as the 9800 also have 2.1.

I'm waiting for the 65 inch Sony XH90 which will have HDMI 2.1 once a software update is released.....its a 2020 model but good value for money that I can see. The 55 inch and 75 inch is available but nowhere does the 65 at the minute!!

gibbletts

I can't see ps5 doing 120 frames at 4k I'd advise anyone who's buying a tv for next gen of consoles to wait til they're released, you may be disappointed.

Atarioldskool

I can't see ps5 doing 120 frames at 4k I'd advise anyone who's buying a tv for next gen of consoles to wait til they're released, you may be disappointed.
Correct but it is capable of doing it, so wouldn't you want to make sure the TV could also do it , if and when a new game comes out and is at 4k @ 120hz ?

Atarioldskool

The LG B9 and LG C9 both have HDMI 2.1 which is 4k at 120hz. LGs lower end models such as the 9800 also have 2.1.

I'm waiting for the 65 inch Sony XH90 which will have HDMI 2.1 once a software update is released.....its a 2020 model but good value for money that I can see. The 55 inch and 75 inch is available but nowhere does the 65 at the minute!!
I'm looking for a 75" the biggest they do in B9 is 65" where as the C9 is 77" which I can get in but there is no way I'm paying £4999 for a TV

At most I'm willing to pay would be £2500
C9 in 65" is perfect price but it's too small

The Sony is also 1 that I'm keeping my eyes on,

What if I go down the ultra short through projector idea ???
Is there anything out there that ticks all the boxes for a PS5 ??

I'm not clued up when it comes to projectors so things like brands, specifications I do not know what's good or bad!

confusion

Standard Member
I'm looking for a 75" the biggest they do in B9 is 65" where as the C9 is 77" which I can get in but there is no way I'm paying £4999 for a TV

At most I'm willing to pay would be £2500
C9 in 65" is perfect price but it's too small

The Sony is also 1 that I'm keeping my eyes on,

What if I go down the ultra short through projector idea ???
Is there anything out there that ticks all the boxes for a PS5 ??

I'm not clued up when it comes to projectors so things like brands, specifications I do not know what's good or bad!
You make it sound like it's the industries fault for not having a TV to fit all your requirements in your budget.

If you want big boy sizes from mid to high end ranges expect to pay big boy prices. Isn't that obvious? Either pony up or change your requirements/expectations.

devoidx360

Standard Member
Correct but it is capable of doing it, so wouldn't you want to make sure the TV could also do it , if and when a new game comes out and is at 4k @ 120hz ?
How many consoles do you envisage Sony and MS selling if there was a requirement that almost everyone who purchased a console would also be required to purchase a new TV? In order to sell 10s of millions of these consoles they need to work with current displays but also have enough tech in them to cater for future displays and be at a price point that most people can afford.

As already alluded to the likelihood that many (any) games will run at [email protected] is very remote as the driving force for sales will be visuals combined with multichannel audio and playable refresh rates.

How many times have we seen compromises made to meet certain targets? I think AAA titles running at 120Hz with HDR, RT, etc. won't be seen on this generation. I may be completely wrong but time will tell.

My C9 is capable of [email protected] (confirmed via EDID) but that means little to me right now.

If you're concerned a display you purchase today won't meet your requirements when these consoles are released then the only sensible thing to do is wait. Once theses consoles are in the wild, TV manufacturers may scramble to adopt whatever tech they need to into more displays and this should drive down costs and you'll begin to see these 'premium' features in more models. The more buzz words they can use in advertising, the better. :)

Last edited: