1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any Sky sattelite tuner cards out there?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by GadgetObsessed, Nov 25, 2003.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I am looking to get a satellite tuner card to watch (and maybe record) Sky on my PC.

Does such a thing exist?

Unfortunately I cannot get Freeview where I live (Sevenoaks) and I get a poor analogue picture.

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Not sure what you mean by "DVD" satelite tuner card, but as for just a PC sky card: unfortunately there aren't any and, as far as I know, there never will be. Sky are a teensy bit protective of their encrypted content and the thought of it being open to the kind of hacking that allows people to simply download keycodes for european satelite broadcasts and watch them for free will always stop them from producing these things.

Shame really.

If you want to record sky on your PC the only way is with a capture card of some sort, you would plug a sky digibox into this and record the analogue pictures and sound.

HTH
    owain

3. thelaw

thelaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

Now that the BBC have not renewed their encryption contract with BSkyB and have moved their channels to a satellite that has a tight UK & Ireland beam, It is possible to get these channels (BBC One, Two, Three, Four, Cbeebies, CBBC) with a PC Satellite reciever card such as a Hauppauge DVB-S or Twinhan DTV card. Visit my forum for more details: www.dvbnetwork.com

Remember though that you will not get ITV or channel 4 through the satellite and will not get as many channels as on freeview.

Regards,
    Jon