1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are there any picture/sound quality diferences between the regions

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by clarkyb, Oct 15, 2005.

1. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    HI, i know some versions have better sound/picture quality than others but as a whole is there any difference in sound and picture quality between r1, r2 and r3

thanks, its just that my r1 version of HEAT doesnt sound as good as the r2 HEAT i borrowed off a friend a couple of months ago

2. Marv

Marv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    As a whole i'd say know, for example A vs.P released on all regions by fox should sound the same since the audio options are the same(forgeting about Pal sppedup). It's only when a different studio issue's the film on another region and maybe use a higher bitrates.

Although studios do sometmes release films for unknown reason with different audio tracks. For example the Japenese Release of Christine is the only one to have a 5.1 mix(it even has dts) while all the otehr collectors ediotns only have Dolby Surround. Columbia released both releases.

3. clarkyb

clarkyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    thanks

4. Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, PAL transfers have almost 100 lines more vertical resolution than NTSC transfers so if they are derived from the same HD master, I believe the R2 PAL should look a bit better. My LOTR EE sets look NOTICEABLY better on PAL than the NTSC versions.

:) d

5. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    PAL is a better picture format then NTSC, but until recenty only NTSC has been the approved video format for THX. I think in the last few years they have manged to get PAL approved.

6. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    There is a difference with audio, PAL will sound a semi-tone higher than NTSC. This might be a concern if you want the correct sounding dialogue. Some films have their pitch corrected but its worth bearing in mind. I had to sell my PAL StarWars Trilogy as the music just didnt sound right to me.