Are there any movies released on HD DVD that have still not been released on Blu-ray?

Nyle

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title says... Thanks.

A few I believe, Looking at the remaining 5 or 6 I have:

The Getaway (Alec Baldwin)
Black Xmas (2006)

Of the ones I own:

Mystery Men
Seed of Chucky (not counting the Canadian Alliance release)
Streets of Fire
The Getaway (1994)

A few I believe, Looking at the remaining 5 or 6 I have:

The Getaway (Alec Baldwin)
Black Xmas (2006)

According to Google, Black Christmas has been released on Blu-ray.

The Original Black Christmas has had a very good release from the US, The remake (2006) was the version I was referring to, It's had a dodgy release in Germany with burnt subs and a Canadian version from TVA which I haven't seen.

There isn't a UK or US version like the HD-DVD though.

Oh OK, thanks for clearing that up

79992342.jpg

The fabulous Midnight Run. I think the sole reason I dipped my toe into HD (although the HDDVD format was collapsing at the time ie I paid $2 for it) and oddly this was also one of the very first DVDs I bought circa 1997.

89278476.jpg

In Good Company is another that's not seen Blu-ray. Lovely film and very classy.

82763818.jpg

Breach. Not seen a Blu-ray of that. Not a great film but still a film a really enjoyed and it's a great HD disc.

Slither and The Good Shepherd (which I just happen to have for sale/trade :D) are listed as MIA but are around in mainland Europe (and Canada for Slither) on Blu-ray.

I think there's more missing for North American audiences than Europe due to the break up of Vivendi Universal (now NBC Universal (Universal Pictures) and StudioCanal).

Hopefully all of these will get Blu-ray releases eventually so I don't have to purchase a HD DVD player / add on for Xbox 360 (if I buy another 360 in the future).

I got my HDDVD player for £33 I believe and it's been great. Not sure I'd buy one now if going HDDVD (there's some superior HDDVDs out there (in both special features and transfer to Blu-ray) as you can just buy an external HDDVD ROM [originally meant for the XBox360]. I bought my ROM for £16 and it plugs into any Windows PC or laptop with my testing.

I'll not be dumping any of my HDDVD stuff anytime soon.

I completely forgot that you can use the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on with a computer. I'll probably pick one up but I'm in no rush at the moment. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me which movies have had a better transfer to HD DVD than to Blu-ray?

...which movies have had a better transfer to HD DVD than to Blu-ray?

Certainly The Big Lebowski compared to the US and UK releases (which are damn awful if people are honest). Weigh with that that the Italian Blu-ray looks to be a dupe of the HDDVD.

There are others eg (Slither is much nicer for instance than the mainland Europe Blu-ray and really nasty Frenchee-Canaydeen Blu-ray) but I'm tired so can't be bothered thinking about it the now. Don't lose hope though because someone else will chip in or I'll be back myself.

:D

Off the top of my head:
The Thing
The Mummy
U-571
Waterworld
The Big Lebowski
The Last Starfighter
Apollo 13
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (HD DVD VC-1, BD MPEG 2)
M:I:III (same)
Sahara(same)
The Italian Job (remake) (same)
The World's Fastest Indian (same)

There are loads more and it'd be far easier to list the titles Universal didn't mess up, re-releasing on BD.

Last edited:
Dragonheart
For Love of the game

NYL3 ST0K3 C1TY said:
I completely forgot that you can use the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on with a computer. I'll probably pick one up but I'm in no rush at the moment. If you wouldn't mind, could you tell me which movies have had a better transfer to HD DVD than to Blu-ray?

Terminator 2 - german release.

I got my HDDVD player for £33 I believe and it's been great. Not sure I'd buy one now if going HDDVD (there's some superior HDDVDs out there (in both special features and transfer to Blu-ray) as you can just buy an external HDDVD ROM [originally meant for the XBox360]. I bought my ROM for £16 and it plugs into any Windows PC or laptop with my testing.

I'll not be dumping any of my HDDVD stuff anytime soon.

What software do you use to play the HD content on a Windows 7 PC?

I use one of the old 'free' OEM HDDVD softwares (there's several around like PowerDVD). Even if you have a new PowerDVD there's lots of little additions you can make to take it back to HDDVD. Just don't auto-update the OEM versions or it'll kill the HDDVD facilty.

Even if you have the slightest interest in HDDVD (simply for the fact you can get the data off them and put it on a Blu-ray obviously) it's worth digging around because you can pick up ROMs dirt cheap as many people sell then as "Blu-ray" wherein fact they are dual players.

I think to be fair to Universal's Blu-rays many are just 'different' to their HDDVD counterparts but quite a few are certainly better if you like your film to look like film and not smudgey DNR crap. It's interesting that many of my favourites [on HDDVD] are rather rough transfers but that's how they're meant to look. And several of those have smaller size data files too.

The French HDDVD of Terminator 2 is wonderful no doubt. Looks like the cinema for me. The Blu-ray is fine of course but something's not quite right. Mind there's a UK HDDVD but that only has the theatrical cut and I like the DC/SE which is the 2nd disc on the French StudioCanal release.

There's a German HDDVD (just the theatrical cut I believe) and I have it but I've not compared it although this AVF'er child was impressed

Karlin said:
There's a German HDDVD (just the theatrical cut I believe) and I have it but I've not compared it although this AVF'er child was impressed

I have this German version, and to my jaded eyes is does appear better than than the BD version I also own

Comes in a nice Steelbook too

In fact, I was toying with sticking it in the classifieds as I no longer own a HDDVD player

Oops

Forgot to add, the German HDDVD is the extended version, not the theatrical only

The German HD DVD and the UK HD DVD, which became the original barebones Optimum release, are virtually indistinguishable to me. Same goes for the Japanese BD.

Stay away from the original US BD, or any iteration of the Skynet version and you're safe as houses.

Last edited:
rebel_scum said:
The German HD DVD and the UK HD DVD, which became the original barebones Optimum release, are virtually indistinguishable to me. Same goes for the Japanese BD.

Stay away from the original US BD, or any iteration of the Skynet version and you're safe as houses.

The original US BD is the other one I own

That is of particularly poor quality, and the German HDDVD does stand up well against this

Mind you, my DVD version also stands up well against the US BD..

I have U-571 on BR (although dont know about different cuts etc)

I believe Robert Redford's Sneakers isnt out on BR though - a film I really love and have since it was released

Certainly The Big Lebowski compared to the US and UK releases (which are damn awful if people are honest). Weigh with that that the Italian Blu-ray looks to be a dupe of the HDDVD.

There are others eg (Slither is much nicer for instance than the mainland Europe Blu-ray and really nasty Frenchee-Canaydeen Blu-ray) but I'm tired so can't be bothered thinking about it the now. Don't lose hope though because someone else will chip in or I'll be back myself.

Just seen The Big Lebowski Blu-ray on HotUKDeals (£6.95 at Zavvi) so ordered it. Hopefully it isn't too bad.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom