Are there any model builder on these forums?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ewan154, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Ewan154

Ewan154

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
  2. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,188
    Number 1 would have to get my vote... 2 doesn't look as 'RAF' somehow..? :)

Ahhhh.the long lost days of model building, It's all I used to spend my money on as a kid!

I think I've done every tank, fighter aircraft, and 500GP bike kit that Tamiya had ever made at the time! :cool:

I'm all cured now though, or at least I was....... :rolleyes:

3. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    :rotfl: They're both brown! Picking between two brown paints, I love it :rotfl:

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    with the model kit you should have the assembly instructions, those should contain the numbers for the tins of paint you need.......if not call the enquiries number supplied to get the correct number...

didnt Humbrol used to be the main paint manufacturer for model kits? or did Revell take over completely?

been a while since i did the airfix type stuff.....last thing i was on was FASA Battlemechs, before that (well, at the same time, found BM's early on) was Games Workshop (early days, i got out just as the crap plastics took over..lol), then obviously very early on the airfix planes, tanks, cars etc.....

had a fantastic model shop near us, they did everything from trains, through boats to the usual airfix, plus all the roleplay books and BB guns.....they had to move out recently, rates where they were went up just too much to cope and had to shift to a cheaper area...shame really.....they'd owned that shop for about 40 years.....

5. Reign-Mack

Reign-Mack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    with the Law on this one, never thought I would see a group of men doing such a thing:eek:

6. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,188
    Maybe the OP thought that people lurking on an AV forum might have some basic perception of colour? :D

Humbrol burnt down years back, it was a very impressive fire! :devil:
    Don't think they ever rebuilt afterwards..... 'another big local employer up in smoke..' etc :rolleyes:

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Used to spend ages making Airfix kits in my youth...maybe I should clear a work area in the garage. :)

I also used to dabble with some 'classic' guns of our time as well (peacemaker, colt45 etc)...I think they were made by Tamiya?? Do they still sell them or are they not so politically correct these days?

8. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Hey guys, don't give the model makers grief over shades of brown! Like you hardcore AV guys don't get picky over the finer points of gold plated shielded cabling? ;)

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600

aww...shame..used to love going in the shop and seeing the stand with the hundreds of tiny tins of paint in the racks...heh

best bit about the particular shop i went to, because it was so old they stuff up on shelves in the rafters that even they didnt realise they had...lol.....sometimes they'd bring a few bits down and do little auctions on it.....

altho i made the models and stuff, i tended to be more in to the games side of it......i was a master at strategy....heh......not just the basic math side, but i was good at guessing what a potential opponent was likely to field in tabletop games and choose units worth taking him on with......i wasnt allowed to play on the open nights at my local games workshop after a while because i kept humiliating the staff as well as the other kids...lol....

tried to get in to computer based games like Medieval Total War etc, but i dunno, its fun but just not quite the same.....a table with units and scenery on has so much more tangability that you can seriously consider your tactics......take in to account distance and the suchlike...