Are there any high quality Divx DVD player yet?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by poggs, Dec 28, 2004.

1. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I ask as I have just returned the Pioneer 575 as it was just too flimsy, the drive was WAY noisy, whirr, clunk etc and very fussy with DVD-rs & cdr's.

So, can anyone recommend a good Divx playing DVD player?

The most expensive I can find is the Sony DVP-NS955V-QS at £219. Is this the dearest around? Also has anyone ever used one of these? Cant find a review anywhere.

thanks

2. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    SONY are generally fussy about reading Burnt discs............DIVXplayers are stillnot too common

4. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Tried an mp3 disc on my Denon 3910 and the sound was OK, still rather compressed and flat as is normal for mp3.
    That said, there's also a lot of cd's around that sound no better...
    Barend

5. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
  6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,279
    Did it only makes those sounds when you tried playing back dvdrs and cdrs because if it did then it sounds like you were not using the best media.
    I have a Pioneer DV470 and I only use Ritek Grade A DVD-R media and I have never had a problem with discs not reading or making lots of noise, its almost silent when it plays back for me.

7. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the samsung 945 deck plays xvid and divx. I can report that i have less problems on my samsung deck than on my grey-box Kiss divx/xvid player.

8. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I was going to suggest the Samsung too. Its probably Samsung that make the Sony model. There was a time when Pioneer products were easily better made than Samsung but that time is passed. Generally Samsung bottom to mid range stuff is better made than the Pioneer' lower end stuff. I know Toshiba use goldyip to manufacture some of the bottom end dvd players. Goldyip are pretty low end and no better than most other small chinese manufacturers. I bet Pioneer rebrand a similar grade unit. At least Samsung own their own factories in China. I think Toshiba and Pioneer only have small scale operations in China. Its well known that the chinese don't like the japanese and japanese owned factories in china haven't always been particularly successful. Relations between China and Korea are very good. Hence LG and Samsung have done really well with their chinese factories. Anyway point is Korean owned factories generally have better QC checks and manufacturing technology than small chinese manufacturers.

So I would definitely check out the Samsung HD945 you may find its just what your after.

9. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Those Samsung 945 players are supposed to have an AC3 decoder, yet it doesn't seem to have a 5.1 audio out. So how can it do dolby decoding and only have stereo audio out? Also if it has DVD-Audio and SACD then again it doesn't have audio outputs so how can it do this unless it's only stereo, surely this cannot be output through an optical or coaxial output as that doesn't have the resolution to do it. The samsung site doesn't say what the Digital audio out is meant to be or whether it's coaxial or optical.

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    All dvd players as far as I know have a dolby decoder but some only have downmixed 2 channel output. The fact the player lists DVD Audio and SACD playback means it must have 5.1 output otherwise it would say 2 channel output only. I suspect though that instead of using seperate 5.1 phono analogue connections its probably using the audio carrying pins of the HDMI cable. Effectively unless you are using hdmi capable equipment you might as well ignore this feature of the player. Thats assuming it doesn't also have seperate 5.1 pinouts. I assume the hdmi specification is the only way of sending full resolution DVD Audio and SACD sound digitally unless you go for some sort of manufacturer specific proprietory design.

11. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The majority don't have dolby decoders, all have dolby and DTS outputs (coaxial and optical) but that is all, they need a seperate decoder to do the decoding. It doesn't sound like it would be much use to me as I don't have HDMI equipment. I only looked at the Samsung webpage and it didn't indicate any audio outputs other than stereo analogue.

12. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just looked on the back of the deck and the Samsung has 5.1 Analogue and Optical out plus DTS/5.1 decoding output via the HDMI cable, which is the feed i use to my telly.

13. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    You are repeating a common misconception. If a dvd player didn't have a dolby digital decoder you wouldn't hear anything through scart or the stereo audio phonos. There is a difference between having a dolby digital decoder and a 5.1 dolby digital decoder. Most players just downmix to 2 channels and don't provide the six phono sockets (even though it would only cost a few pence to do so they know most people don't need them). I have a maxim compact dvd player and that has both DD and DTS decoders but doesn't have 5.1 analogue output just a coaxial digital output in addition to its 2 channel audio output. Using your logic it doesn't have a DTS decoder as it downmix's it to 2 channels. Yet I've listened to superbit dvds on this player using the DTS soundtrack. Plugging a pair of sennheiser headphones into the portable tv its used with gives great sound quality.

14. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    When you say 5.1 analogue do you mean 6 seperate phono connections for audio?

15. Carl_Docklands

Carl_Docklands

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes mate, there are 6 seperate phono connectors on the back of this deck.

16. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Seems like the Samsung has all bases covered feature wise. Whats the dvd drive like? How fast, compatible, silent etc? What about general build quality, is the psu silent?

17. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    I myself use a sigmatek xm 400 pro plays everything but it doesnt like datawrite red discs .The xm 600 model that has yet to be released has a dvi input .
    hope that helps .
    :rolleyes:

18. Hyp3rion

Hyp3rion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the DivX files you wish to play ones that you have downloaded yourself? If so consider an xbox! I have one connected to my network and stream all my divx and mp3's through it. The quality is as good as it gets to be honest as i have mine modded and am using a hidef component kit, this means my movies are upscaled to 720p (obviously you would need a compatible display) :thumbsup:

19. ilrenato

ilrenato
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the Momitsu V880N Divx over network, best DVI output in its class and at least a macroblocking free mpeg decoder and black and white crushing free output compared to the samsung.

20. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0