Are there any HDTVs that can anti alias a picture?

Dr. SpankyPants

Standard Member
Reaction score
When I play my Xbox 360 on a SD CRT TV it looks better to me than on any HDTV I know of.

CRT TVs always seem to produce an antialiased picture that makes the games look better (imo).

Are there any HDTVs out there that can anti alias a picture in the same way a CRT can?

Thank you.

Some digital televisions have poor picture quality compared to CRT, the video processing circuity makes a huge difference and can vary considerably by brand and price range.

Although first thing to bear in mind, is ... do you have Xbox 360 set to output 720p and not an SD resolution on your HDTV. You might think it rude to ask, but it is an extremely common mistake.

Secondly, if you wish to "anti alias" your image then set Sharpness to a negative (if possible) as this would do exactly that.

StooMonster

I have a Samsung SM 2333HD and the output is set to 1080p on the XBOX.

The picture quality is terrible and the sharpness is at its lowest of 0.

What TVs have the option of negative sharpness?

Thanks again.

The best form of anti aliasing is down sampling ie. scaling a 720p signal down to a 576p signal.

that is why your CRT will not have any aliasing.

My old plasma looked really soft and therefore covered up aliasing very well, but at the end of the game, if a game has aliasing, there is little you can do.

I have a Samsung SM 2333HD and the output is set to 1080p on the XBOX.

The picture quality is terrible and the sharpness is at its lowest of 0.

What TVs have the option of negative sharpness?

Thanks again.

you have a hybrid, so of cause it will look bad

If you want decent image quality, you'll need a proper HDTV

PS: Have you tried setting the X360 to optimal res? And do you have it connected via HDMI?

PS: From my experience, interlaced CRT has more aliasing issues than FPD.

if sdtv looks better than hdtv with your xbox 360, then either there is something fishy with your xbox 360, or the hdtv. If you are using component cable, then you have to switch the hd-switch on the cable to hd, otherwise you get 480i, which is horrible.

And there is no dedicated anti aliasing as far as I know on any tv unless you mean downscaling the image. And the Xbox 360 does the downscaling for you if you choose 480i or 480p in the dashboard.

It depends on game. I mean, not all are downscaled. Some games are rendered in ED if SD is chosen.

Too bad there's no list with such information

Anyway, if a games is rendered in 4:3 and the text is readable when using 480i/p, then it's rendered at 480p.

If there are signs of downscaling, rest assured the game is rendered at 1024 x 768 (or 1280 x 960) and downscaled.

Ok, so I guess its time to buy a decent HDTV :)

Which would people here recommend:

LED or LCD?

Do Sony have an LED TV out yet?

There's no such thing as LED TV. It's actually LCD with LED backlighting.

ATM, it's best to sway away from edge-LED LCD due to backlight uniformity issues.

Ok, so I guess its time to buy a decent HDTV :)

Which would people here recommend:

LED or LCD?

Do Sony have an LED TV out yet?

...any half decent 1080p lcd will show a great picture with a 360, either by component or HDMI....HDMI preferable as some tv's cannot show 1080p over component. 1;1 mapping and a game mode would also help.....the PQ on a decent 1080p set is really fantastic.

So which would give a better picture and be better suited to games out of the following two:

Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500

OR

Samsung UN46B8000 LED TV Series 8

OR

Is there a better HD TV that you folks would recommend?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom