1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any Dual Layer DVD/HDD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dooid, Dec 8, 2004.

1. dooid

dooid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see that its cheap and easy to get dual layer dvd recorders for your pc and I'm wondering if Pioneer or Panasonic have any dual layer DVD/HDD combi's? From what I can tell they are all on the 4.7GB discs? Does anyone know if there are new products about to come out? Cheers :smashin:

2. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dual layer is only available on the +R format (and I mean +R and not +RW) at the moment and as far as I know the -R camp are nowhere near releasing dual layered disks (depending what you read there will not be dual layered -R disks due to technical difficulties but I am open to be corrected on that one). The only DL recorder at the moment is a Philips, this machine (I think its the 720 or something like that) also has a HDD, the downside of this is that Philips are not the most reliable but neither are they the most expensive. If you must have DL capability now then either buy a DL PC burner and edit your disks on that onto the DL disk or buy the philips with a 3 year extended warranty (chances are that you will need it).

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    As Bosco says the only dual layer disks available are DVD+R DL. This is actually a very good and compatible format IMHO but it's implementation on set-top DVD recorders is going to be constrained to the +VR format - which is useless. Better to use a 'minus' recorder and then author on the PC to a DVD+R DL disk - a guide to this is in the Sticky thread at the top of the forum.