1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there any 40"+ 1080p TV's yet? I can't find details of any in the UK.....

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by PapAV, May 19, 2005.

1. PapAV

PapAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    So as far as I can see it, by this time next year I need to have a 40"+ 1080p LCD for the World Cup and PS3 & 360. (and yes I know that only the ps3 will be in 1080p)

What other things do you need to look out for on LCD's???? eg brightness or dots or a conflagablaadoodahwotsit rating above 11,000 ;)

Whaddya reckon by then ~£2k???? I imagine lots of people using the same excuse to get the same spec by then, which will hopefully bring the price down.

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +570
    As far as I know, the only one currently available is the Sharp LC45GD1E, which retails at £6,500, but can be got online for "only" about £4600.

3. beijingbear

beijingbear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm a new member but in the market for a 37" LCD. Was lookin at the 38PF9830 which sounds wonderful. Not cheap at 2500 GBP and does not support 1080P but does 1080i.

Was looking at the costco site in the USA and saw a 37" LCD PAL/SECAL/NTSC input, 1920 x 1080 resolution, 100-240v, ATSC HD tuner built in ! Loads of inputs and all for 1699 USD. Am off to the USA in a few months and might bring one back. The ATSC tuner will hopehully pickup 1080 transmissions but not sure. The set has 2 x f type tuners. If you look at www.tigerdirect.com you will see multi photos.

I may get a PS3 in the future and I think it's worth the money.

What do you all think? Worth a look ?

Happy new year everyone....

Paul

4. PioRow

PioRow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I may be wrong here but I dont think the sharp supports 1080p. It has the required resoution as do a few 37"' LCD's which you can buy but they dont have the required internal processor to display 1080p. Best bet would be a widescreen monitor capable of 1080p, then get the 1080p feed to that.

5. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    ATSC tuners on Spectre are for OTA HD transmissions, they will not work in UK (not for freeview OTA or analogue OTA).

I think Sharp does accept 1080p if you connect directly to the panel, unpluging the media box which links to the panel using a DVI lead.

6. CoolCurly

CoolCurly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Q400 40" LCD TV will be launched by Hyundai at the end of this month.
    www.hyundaiq.com will have the specs shortly. fully HD ready, built in Freeview, 14-3 MMP card player.

7. beijingbear

beijingbear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the steer...

Is there any guide price ?

Westinghouse also do a 1080p one but you have to pop over the pond to pick it up.

I'm heading off to China with my job for a few years soon. More than likely i'll be able to pick up a good one there. Lots of the cheapo ones actually use Philips/LG panels. Not sure if the Chinese are HD ready yet like Japan but i hope the the technology is there before I go. Will take one with me if it isn't.

Paul

8. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    Won't be 1920x1080 though...