Are there 1080p DLP sets ?

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to replace my SP50L7HX and have budget of £1000 tops
DLP served me as best value for money when I got the SP50L7HX so trying to see if it will do so again

Want a 1080p compatable set between 50 and 60 inches and ideally want something that can be put on a variety of stands and benches (something the SP50L7HX can not do)

So are there any sets readily available in the uk ?

In Britain, no. They've had 1080p DLP sets in america for years, but they've never launched here.

cheers - looks like ill have to go lcd

Had you thought about going SXRD or DILA? At that sort of screen size you should probably consider plasma, too.

Had you thought about going SXRD or DILA?

:confused:

any suggestions ?

Just want something of god size for 90% gaming (from ps3 or 360) and remainder SkyHD or the odd TV series on DVD

50" at the 1k mark then your best off looking at a Panasonic TH50PZ80. Its a 50" 1080p plasma, I have one in the bedroom and its probably the best 50" 1080p display for the money that you can now buy. Its been fine for gaming with no image retention at all.

If not then try hunting down a 2nd hand 55" or 70" SXRD. I prefer my 70" SXRD to my plasma. :)

50" at the 1k mark then your best off looking at a Panasonic TH50PZ80. Its a 50" 1080p plasma, I have one in the bedroom and its probably the best 50" 1080p display for the money that you can now buy. Its been fine for gaming with no image retention at all.

If not then try hunting down a 2nd hand 55" or 70" SXRD. I prefer my 70" SXRD to my plasma. :)

Anywhere still selling the SXRD as new ?

Not to my knowledge - this year's model was never launched in Europe.

However, the JVC equivalent is available. Try here:

JVC HD-65DS8DD - Sound and Vision

I avoided the JVC models because of the geometry issues caused by the ultra slim case. This picture below will show you what I mean. I couldnt put up with the picture being distorted in this way, so I went for a plasma instead.

95823d1225413558-jvc-hd-ila-65-hair-screen-avforums.jpg

If this doesnt bother you then this is the only current rear pro in the UK market. :)

I avoided the JVC models because of the geometry issues caused by the ultra slim case. This picture below will show you what I mean. I couldnt put up with the picture being distorted in this way, so I went for a plasma instead.

95823d1225413558-jvc-hd-ila-65-hair-screen-avforums.jpg

If this doesnt bother you then this is the only current rear pro in the UK market. :)

god i get annoyed by dust on the tv stand so would never live with that

so looks like its plasma

god i get annoyed by dust on the tv stand so would never live with that

so looks like its plasma

I love my large displays but I went for a smaller display just because of this fault. Personally I would of rather of seen a deeper case and no geometry issues than what they have done. Shame as it has a nice looking design to the display. Magazines also didn't rate this display that well with a very small review giving it 3/5 stars in HCC.

IMO its a shame that manufacturers have stopped supplying the UK with rear pros. :(

Most of the complaints about poor geometry in the JVC TVs were based on the original production run in America. I've heard several people say that these problems were completely rectified in the European version (although I can't speak from personal experience). I'd suggest checking one out in person if you can.

Most of the complaints about poor geometry in the JVC TVs were based on the original production run in America. I've heard several people say that these problems were completely rectified in the European version (although I can't speak from personal experience). I'd suggest checking one out in person if you can.

That picture is from a UK owner who just bought his display a few weeks ago. Look closely and you will see its avfoums which is being displayed. ;)

The geometery issues are still there I have seen a few pics of this display from uk owners and all exhibit the same fault.

Slim cabinets always effect the picture. Infocus did a rear pro many years ago which was slim and could be hung on the wall. The slim cabinet effected the viewing angle of the picture and if you sat slightly off axis the picture brightness would be effected. Basically you had to sit smack in front of the display for it to work correctly. The display bombed due to the cabinet design.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom